Clown loach "Freckles"?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

mountain_webste

AC Members
May 2, 2007
B-more
Has anyone every observed what look like freckles on clown loaches?

My two larger clowns both have them visable on the orange part of their skin and their bellies. Not all over, just random spots here and there just like freckles on people. I've observed them for quite a while so I'm not concerned they are disease outbreak. They both are very healthy and happy, eat well etc. All the other fish are healthy as well and I haven't had any diease issues in the tank in forever.

I did have an ich outbreak when I first got these guys a number of years ago. Could they be scars that are visable now that they are bigger?

ksane

aka TwistedPenguin
Mar 1, 2008
Oklahoma, USA
Some of my Clown Loaches have them, too. I've heard silly 'reasons' people claim they have them but they're harmless. Just color spots like a lot of fish and a lot of people have.

fishorama

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
SF Bay area, CA
Check loaches.com, there were several posts on the spots. As I recall it's thought to be from large water changes dropping TDS levels a lot (total dissolved solids). The answer seems to be more frequent but smaller WCs & they'll fade. I had 1 loach with a "tummy spot" that has faded since doing slightly smaller WCs.

mountain_webste

AC Members
May 2, 2007
B-more
Check loaches.com, there were several posts on the spots. As I recall it's thought to be from large water changes dropping TDS levels a lot (total dissolved solids). The answer seems to be more frequent but smaller WCs & they'll fade. I had 1 loach with a "tummy spot" that has faded since doing slightly smaller WCs.
Interesting.

I'll check out loaches.com

I had the loaches in a 55 until very recently. I did 50% water changes every week - 10 days.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store