Can you tell me what kind of angels these are?......

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

tropics007

AC Members
Jul 26, 2008
Wilmington, NC
I received these fish 3 days ago. They are a pair. The male arrived with his top fin short, but I am sure that will grow back.

I wanted to see if anyone can guess the strain before I say what I bought them as.

They are still shy, but are starting to swim toward me when I come in the room. They are becoming more outgoing with each day. The female has LOTS of blue on her. I do not think you can really tell in the pics. ( they were taken with my cellphone).

I do have (4) juvie angels in with them. These angels will be moved in a week or two. I stuck them in their to help the newcomers become less shy.

Sorry about the pics. They like hiding in and around the giant hairgrass plants. It makes them feel more comfortable. I keep live plants in all my tanks.

If it helps, they are around 6-7" in height. Both are around 11 months old.

unknown 1.jpg

unknown 2.jpg

unknown 3.jpg

unknown 4.jpg

unknown 5.jpg

unknown 1.jpg unknown 2.jpg unknown 3.jpg unknown 4.jpg unknown 5.jpg

FastFly67

AC Members
Sep 18, 2008
SC
they look almost exactly like mine that everyone told me we p. scalare

tropics007

AC Members
Jul 26, 2008
Wilmington, NC
Thanks. Well, I am not sure what they are now. I purchased them as Pervian altum angels. The body size on these fish are huge.

I was hoping someone could of confirmed that strain for me.

I will have to get some better pics up of them. I know it is hard to see them when they are hiding in the grass plants.

Star_Rider

AC Moderators
Dec 21, 2005
Spanaway, Wa.
Real Name
Ed
definitely not Altum

and probably not Peru Altum which are actually not Altum but a P.Sclare with ALtum features.
it is thought the Peru Altum are possibly a X P.scalare/P.Altum.
In some cases the Peru Altum have a similar body structure to the Altum but lack the verticle Bars of the Altum.

there has been some talk that they may be a distinct species diff from the P.Sclare and P.Altum but that remains to be seen as more research is needed.

at first glance I thought you had P. Dumerelli(leopoldis)
which have larger bodies with short fins(dorsal and anal) they do tend to run smaller than scalare and Altums
but if your fish are 6-7 " they would prob not be Dumerelli.

tho this does not rule out wild Peru Scalare
at that size they would run about $30-$40 as wild juvies will run $15-$25 for 2" fish

are these a breeding pair?

tropics007

AC Members
Jul 26, 2008
Wilmington, NC
wow. you wrote alot. Yep, they are a breeding pair. They haven't spawned for me yet. ( only had them for around 4 days now). The guy I bought them from said that they were proven. He did show me pics of them raising a batch of fry. He also told me that these may not spawn again until the spring time.

I was told that they may be a hybrid ( silver/altum) but I am not sure.

I have no idea what these fish are now.

definitely not Altum

and probably not Peru Altum which are actually not Altum but a P.Sclare with ALtum features.
it is thought the Peru Altum are possibly a X P.scalare/P.Altum.
In some cases the Peru Altum have a similar body structure to the Altum but lack the verticle Bars of the Altum.

there has been some talk that they may be a distinct species diff from the P.Sclare and P.Altum but that remains to be seen as more research is needed.

at first glance I thought you had P. Dumerelli(leopoldis)
which have larger bodies with short fins(dorsal and anal) they do tend to run smaller than scalare and Altums
but if your fish are 6-7 " they would prob not be Dumerelli.

tho this does not rule out wild Peru Scalare
at that size they would run about $30-$40 as wild juvies will run $15-$25 for 2" fish

are these a breeding pair?

FastFly67

AC Members
Sep 18, 2008
SC
Does this guy have feedback of any sort? Is he reputable in angels? It's not like you bought them off a street corner (did you?) I hate to sound rude but if you're going to be dropping that kind of dough on fishies, shouldn't you research the seller and also the fish before buying?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store