New 175 gal outdoor pond

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

marl_nyc

AC Members
Jul 8, 2008
Queens, NY
Hi everyone! Been a while since I posted and I wanted to share with everyone a couple of things. I am now currently in the Philippines in the Far East on vacation for the next 3 weeks. I have been living and working in New York city the past 10 years. This is the first time in 5 years I have gone back home. My mother who loves her garden had it redesigned and landscaped to fit a small pond in it as a surprise for me when I got back. Isn't that nice of her? She knows the passion and love I have for the hobby. Here are some pictures of it and the glass filter box me and a friend of mine designed for the pond. The pond dimensions is roughly 76" L x 38" W x 14" H or depth. Using the conversion table on this sight it adds up to 175.28 US gallons.

The filter box is 10" W x 12" H x 16" L and has 4 partitions and handles all the mechanical and biological filtration. The whole filter box is made from tempered glass.

For additional information... The Philippines is a tropical country with only 2 seasons...Wet or Dry :) Temperatures range from 77 deg F to 90 deg F in the summertime.

Where I live its constantly around 80 to 84 deg F. Also the pond in the morning gets most of the sunlight and towards 11 am falls into the shade of the house.

I still have to take water temp and the water parameters. but for now the filter is working and I'm just letting the water cycle with no livestock as of yet.

So here are the pics... as always comments and questions are always welcome. If you have any suggestions on how to improve my "little pond" I would love to hear them.

Marlowe

:popcorn:

015.JPG 016.JPG 017.JPG 018.JPG 019.JPG 020.JPG 021.JPG 022.JPG

BettaFishMommy

finkids make me happy :-)
Mar 17, 2008
Deadmonton, lol, Canada
Real Name
Sherry N.
nice pond! but i personally would make the filter box a little less obvious. maybe design a nice wooden box around it with a lid that lifts off, so that you can access the filter for maintenance. the lid could hold a series of shallow trays for starting out small plants for the garden??

Muske

AC Members
Aug 7, 2009
Mundelein IL
Does the waterfall not work?

RodInCALIFORNIA

EBAY ADDICT !
Aug 5, 2008
CALIFORNIA
Real Name
ROD
I like your filter box ! colorful

Sarahann31190

Animal collector
May 28, 2009
Apple Valley, CA
I like the filter box. I think it's very cool. The stickers are fun!:p

Rbishop

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 30, 2005
Real Name
Mr. Normal
Very nice! Looks like a lot of work went into building the pond!

PallasAthena

AC Members
May 17, 2009
I like the filter box! Very fun and creative! Why not hook it up to the waterfall? That looks just beautiful!

ETA: Go ahead and pop your plants in there. That'll help the cycle and get them established so your fish will have places to hide.

marl_nyc

AC Members
Jul 8, 2008
Queens, NY
Thanks for the comments everyone... the waterfall works just need another pump to connect it. I'm looking for a good sized bamboo to cover the blue pvc pipe so it doesn't stand out as much. I have already taken down water params and am now letting the water cycle. Also looking for driftwood to put into the pond so the fishies have places to hide. Will upload pics as soon as I get them done. Thanks again for all the comments. And I agree the stickers are kinda cool :)

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store