Mystery Disease

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

blue2fyre

Blue Fish
Oct 7, 2008
Wisconsin
Real Name
Ashley
I have no idea what is wrong with these guys. I have already lost 2 fish to this disease and this guy looks to be on his way out as well. They have this odd discoloration on their skin. One that died had it around his gill, the other that died had it around his mouth. It's like their bodies are just rotting away. I have 7 left, 5 of those 7 look good so far. All are still eating. I just got these fish a week ago. I thought it might be some ammonia burn from the shipping so I've been keeping the water very clean. But they seem to keep getting worse.
There is a picture attached. I separated this guy since he looked pretty bad this morning when the lights came on.
Parameters:
Ammonia: 0
Nitrite: 0
Nitrate: About 10, I did a water change yesterday
Ph: 8.2
Temp: 78 degrees

sick fish.jpg sickfish2.jpg

blue2fyre

Blue Fish
Oct 7, 2008
Wisconsin
Real Name
Ashley
Well the one in the picture is dead now. I never treated since I didn't know what I was treating for. I can't tell if the others have the same spots. Some look like they have very small patches. PLEASE someone give me some guidance before I loose anymore.

blue2fyre

Blue Fish
Oct 7, 2008
Wisconsin
Real Name
Ashley
Thanks

I've been super frustrated because they go downhill so quickly. I have a feeling it's something bacteria related. It's like fin rot but is affecting the body. I haven't seen anything like it at all and searches on the Internet haven't turned up anything.

mel_20_20

AC Members
Sep 1, 2008
Deep in the heart of texas
Are the reddened areas always in area you show in the photo? Or are they in various places on the fish's body?

mel_20_20

AC Members
Sep 1, 2008
Do the scales in the inflammed area seem to be standing away from the body a little bit, sort of like dropsy, but not necessarily standing out that much?

blue2fyre

Blue Fish
Oct 7, 2008
Wisconsin
Real Name
Ashley
On the two other fish I lost, one had the inflamed area near it's gills and the other had the patch around it's mouth. The one that had the discoloration around his mouth actually had a hole all the way through his lip as well.
I don't think the scales are sitting up. These guys are only 2 inches long so I can't tell for sure.

Cerianthus

AC Members
Jul 9, 2008
Pretty Common actually. Internal hemmorhaging I would suspect. Try Kanamycin or Kana/Nitrofurazone combo (Spectrogram by Aqiatronics but Aquatronics is not in circulation anymore).

Since you only had for week, I am assuming due to shipping related culpit.

I woud also avoid any UNECESSARY WATER CHANGES as long as test result are w/in range.

As far as med in Q/T or main tank, will leave it up to you.
My choice at this pont would be treat the main.

Hope all goes well!

BTW, sustaining specific salt level may reduce chance of outbreak down the road. Not NaCl but other types of salt synthetically manufactured for rift valley cichlid or mbunas.

Last edited:

mel_20_20

AC Members
Sep 1, 2008
Cerianthus' take on this sounds logical. Did you notice any strange swimming patterns; spiraling, spinning, etc., in any of the infected fish?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store