Brackish CUC

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

flossyfloofloo

AC Members
Apr 14, 2008
nottingham england
CUC for a brackish tank

i have a 50 gal brackish tank that currently houses a moray eel the water salitinity is being moved up to 1.018 . i have been told i can keep turbos in there but what others could i keep in there .

would it be possible to keep hermits and maybe another small brab and some other snails like nas snails???

Cerianthus

AC Members
Jul 9, 2008
i found Turbo or any snails along with other critters more sensitive to changing water conditions. I would be careful as to acclimating s/w snails or other critters to brackish condition.

Probably better off with certain crabs OR Prawns and/or hermits, snails from brackish water.

If can collect your own as i do, at least you can slowly accimate them to your brackish condition.

Amphiprion

Contain the Excitement...
Feb 14, 2007
Mobile, Alabama
Real Name
Andrew
I'm moving this to the brackish section for better exposure. My suggestion, for snails at least, is to look into nerites, which do well in brackish and marine water. You'll still need to carefully acclimate them.

flossyfloofloo

AC Members
Apr 14, 2008
nottingham england
thanks for the move dunno why i didnt post it in brackish myself lol

and thanks for the advice i am able to drip aclimatise any fish/invert over a few days so alimatising isnt a problem

Pufferpunk

AC Members
Mar 22, 2002
Chicago
www.thepufferforum.com
Real Name
Jeni
Inverts need a SG of around 1.023 or higher. In BW, you are the best maid service!

Amphiprion

Contain the Excitement...
Feb 14, 2007
Mobile, Alabama
Real Name
Andrew
Intertidal nerite species (especially the native Vitta usnea) being the exception. They will tolerate and do well in salinities well below 1.023. Just clarifying, Pufferpunk, as I agree under the vast majority of circumstances.

Pufferpunk

AC Members
Mar 22, 2002
Chicago
www.thepufferforum.com
Real Name
Jeni
Duh... I'm always forgetting about nerites & I even have some in my BW tank!

vampie

AC Members
Oct 25, 2006
New York, NY
Blue-leg hermits, Virgin and Olive nerites, and MTS come to mind, though I really don't know anything about Morays and their compatibility.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store