Loach tank mates?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

fishywishywashy

AC Members
Dec 4, 2008
Virginia Beach, VA
I am trading my current stock at my LFS for new stock. I can across the dojo loaches and fell in LOVE! Also, as a beginer I stocked my 75 with an odd and not too happy assortment of critters.

My questions are as follows:
1. where can I obtain dwarf chain loaches x6?
2. My plans are 1 gold dojo, 2 reg dojo and 6 dwarf chain loaches. What other "regular" non-loach fishes can I add to give the swimming zones a little more balance?

jpappy789

Plants need meat too
Feb 18, 2007
Gainesville, FL
Real Name
Josh
www.franksaquarium.com

I got my sids from Frank and they arrived in excellent condition, despite sitting on my porch for most of the afternoon in 40 degree weather.

One problem I see is temp. My sids prefer around 78F while I believe dojos are best suited for cooler water.

Other than that I highly recommend a school of cherry barbs and/or harlequin rasboras as tankmates.

fishywishywashy

AC Members
Dec 4, 2008
Virginia Beach, VA
Thanks for the info! I was thinking on temp. that I read sids like 75-82 F and dojos 50-77. So if I keep the temp. at 75-77 both species should be happy or is that pushing it? I am deff. keeping the dojo, but want some loachy friends.....

fishorama

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
SF Bay area, CA
Get the dojo some dojo friends ;) like you plan. They like their own species to play with. I think there are some other cool temp loaches but I don't know what might be available or compatible. I don't have a cold temp tank so I'm not sure but some corys like it cool & might work.

Rosy barbs or odessa barbs like cooler temps & would be ok with dojos. Goldfish are another choice.

It's usually not a good idea to keep tropical & cold water species together even if there is a small overlap. Not really optimum for either. There's also that big size difference 8+ vs 2 inches

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store