What is this?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

aj2494

R.I.P. Guys
Jul 31, 2008
Buffalo, New York
This came in on a pleco. It looks like some white powder was dropped across them all. But only some of the fish have it. Yesterday morning, I left for school, and the tank was fine. When I came home 7 hours later, most of the fish were covered in this, some worse than others. I have never seen this before, but it looks a lot like ich. The one thing that's confusing me is I have only seen one or two fish flash, and maybe there is a slight reduction in activity, but not much. Can you guys help me figure out what this is? It treated with Kordon Rid-Ich+ (treats pretty much everything, and this is why the water looks blue), and some salt too just in case it is ich. I also turned my heater up one notch.

These are of the same fish just because it was easier to see on her.DSCF2050.JPG
This just shows the scale of it on her.
DSCF2040.JPG

DSCF2050.JPG DSCF2040.JPG

aj2494

R.I.P. Guys
Jul 31, 2008
Buffalo, New York
I've never seen ich anything like this before. It spread insanely fast, suddenly, and very heavily. It also has a texture on the fish, like it sticks out.

iLunar

AC Members
Dec 30, 2009
+1 Definitely Ich Try Treating the Whole Tank with anti-ich meds and raise the temp. a little so it will Fasten the Life Span/Cycle of the Ich Parasites.

aj2494

R.I.P. Guys
Jul 31, 2008
Buffalo, New York
Already did both of those plus salt.

KarlTh

AC Members
Feb 15, 2008
I've never seen ich anything like this before. It spread insanely fast, suddenly, and very heavily. It also has a texture on the fish, like it sticks out.
It normally does. Looks like classic ick to me.

SubRosa

AC Members
Jul 3, 2009
Not sure what you are treating with but you should nevermix formalin and salt......
I've used formalin to cure crypto (marine ich) in SW tanks countless times. I'm curious as to the reason as well.

aj2494

R.I.P. Guys
Jul 31, 2008
Buffalo, New York
Rid-Ich+ is a combination of formalin and malachite green. What I put in the tank is 100% pure salt, with no additives at all (it's called Kosher Salt). According to Kordon, they use salt with the malachite green in the Rid-Ich. Not only that, but I have used this treatment along with salt before, with no issues. Also, if what you are saying is true, formalin could never be used in saltwater, which I know it can be, as SubRosa said.

Last edited:
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store