What basic info should be on a LFS fish profile tag?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

BioHazard

Here and There
Mar 15, 2009
PA
I'm still helping out my LFS, and I think we really need some tags to help out the customers. Right now they just write the fish name on the tank in marker, which I'm sure they will continue to do, but a tag with a picture and some info would help beginners to tell one fish from another. :)

Okay, so other than a picture, what kind of info should be on the tag?
I know I want Common Name(s), Scientific Name (which I certainly wish more stores would put), Adult Size and General Information (Which would just a be a short paragraph with some important considerations or interesting facts).

Obviously I don't want each card to be a dissertation on the species. People need to do research on their own too, or they can ask questions. But some basics would be nice. Do you think anything else is necessary?

Here would be an example.

Neon Tetra
Paracheirodon innesi
Adult Size - up to 1.5"
General Information - Neon tetras are beautiful little schooling fish, and a classic beginner's tetra. They can be somewhat sensitive to water quality. These little fish feel safest and show their best colors in schools of at least six.

Should I add any other data sections?
I have considered Minimum Tank Size, Minimum Group Size, Temp Range, pH Range, Care Level (Beginner, Easy, Moderate, Difficult), Temperament and Origin.

Tell me what you think. I want to have the basics, but I also don't want to get bogged down with too MUCH info. Gotta find the median here.

Trigger1985

AC Members
Jul 31, 2009
Arlington Heights, IL (near Chicago)
I think all you need is name, latin name, care level, picture and temperament, min tank size and maybe tropical or cold water (avoiding the goldfish in the community tank I keep hearing about). The picture always helps, I'm new to corys, and ended up with Bronze instead of the Pygmy's I wanted. The fish were new to the store, and the employee wasn't sure which was which and I didn't know any better, as I couldn't remember what they looked like. As far as minimum group size, maybe you could work it with the owner to give discounts on larger numbers such as Neon Tetras $1.99 4 for $6 10 for $15 that kinda thing. Encourages people to keep the proper numbers by making them think they are getting a deal. haha.

msjinkzd

AC Members
Feb 11, 2007
PA
msjinkzd.com
Real Name
Rachel O'Leary
common names, latin name, adult size, temperature, temperament (schooling vs. agressive, etc), minimum tank size, generalized appropriate tankmates.

Winged

Likes being a biology major.
Jan 11, 2009
Louisville, KY
In addition to what's been said, I think it'd be good to say what, if any, special dietary requirements they have. Like, if they won't eat flake or pellets or if they need something else added to their diet.

Rbishop

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 30, 2005
Real Name
Mr. Normal
hmmm..can handle minimum tank size but it is mis-leading....too mnay folks IMO read that as for its current size and get extra fish....and never have I seen a label that said minimum for adult size and proper grouping.

Michwol42795

CanTANKerous
Dec 28, 2009
Chattanooga, TN
Definitely adult size, that way beginners won't buy by the size they see at the store. Perhaps difficulty but that'd be very hard to determine as it depends on a lot of factors.

BioHazard

Here and There
Mar 15, 2009
PA
Thanks for all the suggestions!!!

Okay, here are my current thoughts.
My biggest issues right now with Care Level is that, as mentioned, it depends on a lot of factors.
Minimum Tank Size and Minimum
I like the idea of having Temp Range. What about pH range? I suppose most people wouldn't do much with that anyway.
Temperament would be nice. Probably could have 'Peaceful', 'Semi-aggressive' and 'Aggressive'?
How about Origin? I suppose most folks wouldn't be that interested in the natural range of the fish though.
A Special Notes section could cover any unusual stuff, like special dietary requirements, special tank requirements (like requiring a planted tank) and such.

Okay, so....

Common Name(s)
Scientific Name
Adult Size
Minimum Tank Size
Minimum Group Size
Temp Range
Temperament
General Information
Special Notes (I would only add this if necessary)

And each tag will have a photo.
Anything else? Anything here I could trim out? I would like to keep these as trimmed down as possible. Ideally, someone would be there to answer questions, so I don't want to have TOO much on there.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store