Herbtana VS Ich

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

tamz273

AC Members
Jul 13, 2008
The title gives you a good idea of my problem. I have had ich for a long time, and I kept trying to fight it off using Vita Chem and Garlic but it got too far. After not seeing any visible improvement, I decided to go with a medication. Given my good past experience with Herbtana, (I used it to fight odinium when the medication was in its beta phase) I chose to go with it again. A day after dosing, I lost my first fish. Sailfin Tang. I thought that it made sense because of the stress the medication may have caused, and so I went on with the dosing. (The tang already had TONS of ich) After dosing for 8 days I noticed a decrease in the amount of ich, so I kept dosing.

Today I am on day 22 of dosing Herbtana, doing a 30% water change on day 18. My ich is still VERY visible, and doenst seem to be going anywhere. I also tried to take a new approach, which is to dose the tank when the lights are off and the fish have less/no ich on them. Today will be my second day doing this, but yesterday I did seem to get some results out of it.

Has anyone else used Herbtana? Is 22 days way too much? Should I stop and run carbon for a week and then dose something else? I have some corals and so a reef-safe solution is necessary.. Also, Im running a Turbotwist 6x on a 110 Gallon tank, that is connected inline with my Eheim canister 2232 rated at 106gph.

I know that UV is supposed to help a lot with ich and algae, and I seem to not be getting any benefit from it.

Any ideas?

Amphiprion

Contain the Excitement...
Feb 14, 2007
Mobile, Alabama
Real Name
Andrew
Unfortunately, I have not used that product. I've used a similar product, Ich-Attack, on freshwater fish with decent results, but in my experience, such products have a lot less effectiveness in saltwater. I suggest a quarantine tank, preferably a large one, so that you can treat your fish and leave the display fallow for at least 6 weeks, preferably 8. Those are the kinds of measures that are needed to combat ich infections. Beyond that, there is no other 100% certain method. Some of the other supposedly "reef-safe" medications often are not safe at all, nor are they particularly effective. The UV sterilizer will not stop ich and under most circumstances, will not kill it either. Most of the smaller sterilizers people use don't have enough contact time or intense enough radiation to sterilize incoming ich tomites. This basically makes most UV filtration useless against ich.

whyzee250

AC Members
Aug 17, 2005
Salida, CA
I've used Herbtana once, when my clowns were infected. I did it because I was too lazy to remove my live rock to catch the fish and put them in QT. The Herbtana didn't do anything for me and I eventually had to remove the fish to my QT anyway.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store