drop-checker questions

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

andyjh

AC Members
Feb 18, 2009
Massachusetts
Hoping some drop-checker users can help me out. I've tried researching this online and haven't come up with a definitive answer. Once you fill the checker with solution, how long do you keep it in the tank? Some said it should be about 2 or 3 inches below the surface. Would you then remove it prior to a water change? (as this will lower the water level beneath the checker)... The other question is simply how often do you replace the indicator solution?
Thanks,
Andy

timwag2001

AC Members
Apr 25, 2009
MA
i dont really know why they say to put it 2 inches below the surface.
you dont have to remove it during a water change. that wont affect anything.

JimL

I know just enough to be dangerous
Mar 28, 2009
Silverdale, WA.
The instructions that came with my "Red Sea CO2 Indicator" say change liquid at every water change, or at least once a month. I do weekly w/c seems like a lot of reagent to me. I think I'll change it every other w/c and see how that works.

timwag2001

AC Members
Apr 25, 2009
MA
if you're talking about the plastic red sea indicator that tells you to mix it with aquarium water, then your drop checker isnt working properly.

rocker92

Shine On You Crazy Diamond
Sep 29, 2008
Minnesota
if you get the good ones from Greenleafaquariums.com, you shouldnt have to change the solution very often, i change mine around every month or two. i would reccomend spending the money and getting a good one that will give you accurate results time after time rather than one that may or may not work.

peanutbowl

AC Members
Nov 11, 2009
Milton, DE
I started moving my drop checker around and noticed different co2 concentrations in different places. For example, when i first started using it, i noticed that the color was different towards the water surface than it was near the substrate. So I added some more water movement in the tank and reduced the difference quite a bit. Now i just keep mine a couple inches above the substrate. After a month or so I'll change out the solution, mainly to get rid of the organic funk that collects at the water surface in the checker. It seems to mess up gas exchange within the drop checker, causing false readings.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store