anemones and lighting situation

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

ziggyziggy

AC Members
Jan 13, 2004
Visit site
is it harmful to turn off the hood light at nite for the anemones? can they survive a nite w/o any light whatsoever? i would prefer not to leave my hood light on 24 hours a day if i dont have to. i use to leave my lights on only for about 6 hours a day for the fish. i plan to buy an anemone but if i have to leave my lights on 24 hrs a day with a 120W bulb i dont think its too efficient for me.

mogurnda

vaguely present
Apr 29, 2003
DC
Visit site
Anemones experience nighttime, like the rest of us. Depending on the light you have, you will probably be running it for 12 hours or less.

blackwater

AC Members
Jan 10, 2004
Sydney, Australia
You could make or buy a "moon light".. I've heard that they are good for corals and encourage them to spawn. Your tank will be mimicking nature just that little bit more.

I've heard of some people making them with cold cathode tubes and LED's, but I don't have any links I'm afraid. Do a search on google or these forums and see what you come up with.

Cheers.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store