are copods bad?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Fitter17

AC Members
Jan 18, 2009
Somewhere in Maryland
I have some reef pods for my 125 gallon fish only live rock tank and was told to dump them over a rock. and the copods will breed and my green mandarin will feed off of them. I want to make sure that is cool. thanks

Ace25

www.centralcoastreefclub. com
Oct 3, 2005
www.centralcoastreefclub.com
Yup, that is fine. Really hard to find a bad copepod, they are almost always good to have and really can't have too many in a tank if you have a mandarin. Some amphipods are bad and isopods are the worst. When I add copepods I have a sump to put them in, but without a sump I would try and use a turkey baster and gently blow the copepods into the rocks as deep as you can get so they have a chance to hide and multiply. If you simply pour them on top of a rock not nearly as many will make it.

Conski

AC Members
May 8, 2009
i could use some more pods, the mandarin i had like 4 months ago wiped mine clean out lol i probably have a about 35 now.. sad

whyzee250

AC Members
Aug 17, 2005
Salida, CA
i have an abundance of copepods. when I put my clowns and firefish back in the tank (from QT) will they feed on them at all?

Amphiprion

Contain the Excitement...
Feb 14, 2007
Mobile, Alabama
Real Name
Andrew
Are you referring to copepods or amphipods (the latter of which are more common)? Either way, those fish should feed on them to one degree or another.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store