Taking action thanks to my previous thread "Vodka Dosing"

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

z28sseater

AC Members
Nov 16, 2008
Hey guys so i just started vodka dosing on my 220G predatory thanks to the replies i got from some AC members http://www.aquariacentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=212331.

I followed the directions on the website mentioned by one of the AC members. I calculated i have about 185G Water volume calculating all my live rock and sumps and filters. As mentioned they said its better to underdose then overdose.

I will keep everyone updated on the results i see within then next couple of weeks to help other AC members on nitrate and phosphate problems. RIght now i have about 80PPM of nitrate and about 5 PPM of phosphate. I have a mega red slime problem probably due to phosphate.

I recently upgraded to the Red Sea CSkim1800 so this will also be a good test for this skimmer considering it is a newer product.

Thanks Again Guys!!!:grinyes::grinyes:

Riiz

Apocalypse Pony
Apr 16, 2008
So Cal
Real Name
Eric
/subscribed

Since I have a buddy in the same boat, he'll be interested too.

z28sseater

AC Members
Nov 16, 2008
So, Its day 3 of my first time and experience with vodka dosing. Wasnt really expecting much too happen by now and thats exactly what has happened nothing. Good thing??? Bad Thing?? I have no idea haha. The fish seem perfectly fine, breathing action seems perfectly normally. I usaully look at the lionfish's gills to see any sign of stress because its so big. I retested the NO3 levels and P04 levels just for the hell of it and they remain exactly the same. Also just so you guys know i bought a brand new test kit for both NO3 and P04 for accuracy results and ive been looking at the results through same lighting. doe

The skimmate coming from the skimmer seems to be the same. Although on the top of my Refugium water, their does seem to be a lot more "Gunk floating." Coincidence, Who knows???

Thanks again guys!!! Ill keep you updated.

z28sseater

AC Members
Nov 16, 2008
So its been exactly 7 days since my start of Vodka Dosing. Ive went to .75ML and now i am at 2.0ML. Ive now noticed a little bit of a difference. My skimmer is picking up quite a bit of skimmate. The skimmate seems to be of more gel type. Ive noticed a little bit of Algae build up over the glass. The fish have been breathing ok and they seem happy as can be.

Tested my NO3 and PO4. No change yet unfortunately. NO3 still remains at 80PPM. PO4 still remains at 5.0 PPM. I guess its good they haven't climbed.

Ill keep you guys updated once again.

z28sseater

AC Members
Nov 16, 2008
Honestly, now that ive learned about it, have a somewhat idea of how it works and hearing about it from a lot of people "Especially AC members." Its just seems to be popping up everywhere. In magazines, on internet articles, LFS's. It seems like everyone says they either have success or dont.

SubRosa

AC Members
Jul 3, 2009
I started dosing a 6000 gal Shark tank I maintain about 3 months ago. NO3 levels went from > 400ppm to a current level of about 60 ppm with only a 250 gal water change to backwash the sand filter. Mathematically there is no way that the water changes can account for this, especially considering the bioload, a 3' + BlackTip, two almost 3' Bamboos, several large Morays, two 1'+ Groupers and about a dozen very large Damsels. Even before the nitrates started dropping I noticed an improvement in water clarity. It wasn't bad to begin with, but when you're looking through 12' of water column it's very noticeable.

SubRosa

AC Members
Jul 3, 2009
Just reread my previous post. The 250 gal change is performed weekly.

z28sseater

AC Members
Nov 16, 2008
So things havent changed much. I just started dosing at 2.5ML today. My previous dosage was 2.0ML. My no3 levels actually raised a little bit probably about 100ppm now. My p04 levels remain the same. The fish seem to be healthy. I guess ill see what happens with the additional .5ML. Ill keep you guys updated.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store