Tom's Rapids Mini Canister Filter

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Jspigs

There is always more to learn
Aug 5, 2009
Massachusetts
Real Name
Jacob
Company
Tom Aquarium Products

Model
C-80

Link to product description
http://tomaquarium.com/prod_details.php?cat=29&p=69

Price range
$21.99-$43.34

Pros
Easy to set up. Easy to transfer similar media into the filter. So far I find it to be very effective at injecting co2. spay bar angle can be adjusted as desired for as much or as little surface agitation as possible. It is extremely quiet even with co2 bubbles entering it, I can only hear it if I am listening for it and even then it is just a slight trickling/co2 bubbles entering sound.

Cons
I have heard the flow indicator can be more of a flow reducer but I can not verify that because I took the flow indicator off during the initial set-up. The hoses are very short which limits intake/spray bar placement options. Flow rate is only 80 gph so the filter is only good for smaller tanks. I do wish the intake/spray bar height was adjustable.

Star rating (1-5 with 5 being the best)

How long have you used the product?
1 day.

Build quality and value for your money.
So far the filter seems pretty well made. After spending $42.98 I would expect more in terms of media options but it is selling for $21.99 other places so it does seem to be a good value for that amount of money.

Other comments
I did not use the carbon. instead I used a sponge and more bio media.

I just can not believe how quiet this filter is. I have tried both Marineland Penguin filters and Hagen Aquaclear filters but neither was as quiet as this.

after using Tom's rapids mini canister filter for a day I would highly recommend this filter. The only reason why I gave it 4 stars instead of 5 is because the hoses are not as long as I would like them to be.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store