DIY Metal Halide Questions

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

nbm142ta

AC Members
Aug 18, 2006
General questions on metal halides.

A little background first I have a 125G 72 x 18 x 24, 200/250 lbs of live rock. 2 clown fish, yellow tang, a red mandarin, diamond goby, and a blue green chromis. Also i have a few hitch hiking corals.

I currently have a power custom 72" CF light with 2 50/50 bulbs, and think im a little light on watts. I want to put together a mh setup and was looking for some advice.

I am thinking about going to a 2 pendant hqi system. 250 Watts and 14000k temp.

Here are the pendants

250W Metal Halide HQI
Parabolic Reflector with Lens LT-TAM-MH-REF-HQI250 $39.95

* Advanced parabolic reflector design, shaped out of the highest quality polished aluminum mirror material.
* Designed for 1 250W Metal Halide HQI lamp.
* Mirror finish for up to 99% reflectivity.
* Fully assembled sockets with bracket (250W version).
* High quality, spring loaded contact inside the HQI socket to insure the lamp makes a more true contact.
* UV glass shield included.
* Dimensions: 11"L x 6"W x 3"H

And the ballast

Sunlight Supply 2x250 Watt Dual Galaxy Remote Electronic Ballast

Features the exclusive Smart Volt™ feature. Operates on both 120 & 240 volt power. Simply unplug one cord and plug in the other. 6 foot 120 volt power cord included. Purchase 240 volt cord separately (Code No. 903082).
Will run all mogul based and double ended metal halide lamps.
Drives lamp to peak performance.
Saves energy! Uses 5-12% less energy than magnetic H.I.D. (depending on lamp specification).
Extremely efficient — 99.9% power factor.
Soft starting — increases lamp life & reduces lumen depreciation.
Anodized, extruded aluminum housing.
Lightweight 14.8 lbs.
Silent operation.
Constant wattage output — no lamp flickering.
Short circuit protection.
Rubber feet reduce noise and vibration.
These come wired with our standard female lamp cord receptacle that accept our proprietary, patented male lamp cord, making these units compatible with all Sunlight Supply® reflectors.

So the question is, will 2 pendants be enough or 6 feet of aquarium?
Also can i use these as my sole lighting fixtures, or should suppliment with Actinics?

thanks for the input.

Amphiprion

Contain the Excitement...
Feb 14, 2007
Mobile, Alabama
Real Name
Andrew
That setup sounds fine for an upgrade. It would open up a good deal of options for you.

And no, actinics aren't required, unless you want them. They tend to be much more for aesthetics than anything.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store