Different Clown Breeds

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

zeeter

AC Members
Jan 24, 2010
I have two Percs in my tank now. They've been there for about two weeks and haven't quite proclaimed their territory yet as I have two yellow-belly damsels that seem to own the place.

In a 75 gallon tank would it be alright to add another kind of clown in there? I know that maroons are a no-no, but maybe there's another, less aggressive kind that can live in peace with my percs.

skippy2

AC Members
Mar 14, 2004
holland, mi
Visit site
I wouldn't advice it. It's risky enough having damnsels (spelled my way :)). I would think the new clown would be bullied to death by both your perc pair and the damnsels.

Robert04

Aspiring Self Proclaimed Expert
Dec 31, 2008
I have a pair of tomato clowns, percs, pink skunks in my tank.. they don't care about eachother.. the tomatos and percs actualy host the corals together. I also have 2 yellow chromis and 2 green chromis, the chromis pairs will just hang out by themselves as far as I have seen mine behaving.

zeeter

AC Members
Jan 24, 2010
Thanks for the advice. I think the damsels really mess things up. The clowns don't go anywhere near the live rock. I went to the fish-store to get chromis and the guy told me that the damsels were chromis. They looked cool, and I didn't know any better. Now I guess I'm stuck with them.

Amphiprion

Contain the Excitement...
Feb 14, 2007
Mobile, Alabama
Real Name
Andrew
Chromis are damsels, but damsels aren't necessarily Chromis ;). The typical species (but not all) actually have a unique body and caudal fin shape compared to other damsels. Here are a few pics to illustrate:

Chromis viridis

Chromis cyanea

Chrysiptera hemicyanea

This should illustrate the major differences. Now you should be able to pick out most Chromis species from a mile away.

davocean

AC Members
Nov 18, 2009
San Diego CA
Nice pics, and big fan of chromis!
Almost always more than one pair of clowns mixed ends badly.
Maybe not right away, but when they mature, they become very territorial, it's just their nature.
It can take 6mo- a year or more for this to happen, but when it does it can be very ugly over night.
Clowns grouped together in large groups can be done when from the same clutch, but even that is not very common in captivity.
Unless your tank is VERY large, I don't recommend it.

zeeter

AC Members
Jan 24, 2010
So is there a chance at all that my damsels and clowns will start to get along?

skippy2

AC Members
Mar 14, 2004
holland, mi
Visit site
I could almost gaurantee that, no, they will not. Damnsels, are extremely territorial and will claim the whole tank. I most definately am talking from experience. I don't know why LFS tell newbies to cycle their tank with damnsels. Unless, of course, it is just to make money. :) You can't fault the damnsels. They are only doing what comes naturally.

Robert04

Aspiring Self Proclaimed Expert
Dec 31, 2008
I don't want to start a * match.. but my aquarium and many others are a complete contradiciton of this thread.. so maybe there is something to be said for the environment you keep your fish in.

Last edited by a moderator:

Amphiprion

Contain the Excitement...
Feb 14, 2007
Mobile, Alabama
Real Name
Andrew
Actually, it largely depends on the individual fish :). There are some examples that are never or rarely an issue, whereas there are others that are always an issue. I had one small blue devil damsel years ago that was very well behaved. When that one had passed, I purchased another that happened to be a hellion. Unfortunately, the latter is more the rule than the exception. That's not to say that there aren't plenty of well-behaved damsels out there, but they aren't as common in the trade as their more territorial counterparts. Edit: The same applies to clownfishes.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store