Flourite black sand: disaster waiting to happen?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

mellowvision

Seafood Lover
May 17, 2007
Brooklyn NY
www.mellowvision.com
Real Name
Bill Brissette
Hi folks.

I have recently set up 2 identical tanks for a breeding project I want to do, 15 gallons with an air driven filter. I wanted to have a light sand bed, and all I had around was flourite black sand. I used it. The tanks are currently freshwater, so when I did it I thought nothing of using it. But the catch is, these tanks will be getting salted over a 3-4 week period, to remain brackish for several weeks. They will then be transitioned back to freshwater... and repeat. I'm worried about side effects caused by the nutrients and iron in the sand.

Anyone have experience with this? Or an idea of how it might react? I'd hate to end up with a tank full of rust, and dead stuff.

Amphiprion

Contain the Excitement...
Feb 14, 2007
Mobile, Alabama
Real Name
Andrew
No worries. The solubility of iron in brackish water is lower, so there will be less in the water column overall. There won't be an issue using it in brackish water at all.

bazil323

AC Members
May 1, 2008
Wisconsin
I agree. There are brackish planted tanks (a little more challenging than planted but doable), so it's possible to use a plant-specific substrate without worry since you'd be dosing the same nutrients anyway if it was planted. I have never heard any problems with such ferts in brackish tanks, so I guess I don't see why it would be a problem.

ianab

AC Members
Sep 19, 2009
New Zealand
The Iron in Black Sand is usually Magnetite, that is a form of Iron Oxide and and chemically pretty stable.

Fe3O4 chemical formula, but as it's already oxidised it wont 'rust' any more.

Ian

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store