A few clown pleco concerns?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

mozart

AC Members
Mar 29, 2007
Delawhere?
This pleco has been spending all of its time under my fake driftwood (rather than the real wood). Occasionally it respositions itself or chases off another fish, which I know is normal. What concerns me most is that it's mouth is always open in a big "oh". Also, now that my tank is overstocked and I added ottos, I hope it's getting enough food. It's belly is awefully round as well. This is a tough fish to evaluate.

snoopy65

I am Sam aka Snoopy65
Aug 24, 2008
Where the ducks walk on the fish, PA
Your clown pleco sounds fine. So long as it has a round little belly, it is getting enough to eat. You could put food in for it about 30 minutes to an hour after lights out to be sure. By then the other fish should be sleeping while it is out and about getting food.

Annageckos

AC Members
May 30, 2008
Langhorne PA
Your pleco sounds fine to me. I have one that I see a flash of maybe 4-5 times a year. Mine is still alive and well, I wouldn't worry too much.

mozart

AC Members
Mar 29, 2007
Delawhere?
OK, so the 'O' sign is nothing to be concerned about with this fish.

smaug67

Perspective
Aug 5, 2007
gettysburg Pa
I thought mine was dead for almost 2 wks until I looked for him under the driftwood in several places.Totally normal for a clown to be so reclusive.Do you have real wood in the tank for his diet?

fishorama

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
SF Bay area, CA
Try some zucchini to bring him out. The only time I see mine is when he wants veggies, he waits near the feeding spot & I know it's been a while. Romaine is ok but squash, mmm.

lethalcustoms00

gearhead extrordinare
Jan 16, 2010
Gillette wyo
i have a clown in with three other larger plecos and i rearly see him but when i do he is healthy and well fedso i wouldnt worry about it

mozart

AC Members
Mar 29, 2007
Delawhere?
Well I guess the 'O' sign is bad in fish as well as humans. I found its "skull" when cleaning the tank today. I guess it was a yummy treat for the other fish. I kind of hated having a fish in the tank spend all of its time hiding! I guess I'll beef up the otto force!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store