Jellyfish?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

paper757

Registered Member
Jan 25, 2010
Hey everyone.

I am trying to get some background information on setting up a tank with Jellyfish.

Does anyone here have a jellyfish tank? While its a little odd, I thought it would be pretty cool with the right light. I am betting its a pretty time intensive tank to keep going.

Anyone know of a good guide available online?

cam191919

AC Members
Apr 8, 2008
Tallahassee FL
Cory Keeper has (or had, i dont know) a jelly tank, heres his thread . sadly he hasnt been on for a while so his pictures arent showing up

Amphiprion

Contain the Excitement...
Feb 14, 2007
Mobile, Alabama
Real Name
Andrew
I've only briefly looked into it. In any case, scyphozoan jellyfish need kreisel-style tanks to do well. I suppose the first place I'd look and one of the few sources online, which is www.jelliquarium.com. Keep in mind these systems are expensive to buy retail.

Fishfriend1

Fishlover Extraordinaire
Dec 11, 2009
Southeastern PA
Real Name
Mr. Palmer
I dont think i saw a single thing on that page under $600. My god all that for a jellyfish? I can understand for some sort of colorful fish or corals but a blob of Jelly?

Octavarium

Ambassador to Cephalopods
Mar 2, 2005
East Haven, CT
Real Name
Erik
Jellyfish and some of their cousins...ctenophores can have amazing colors and translucence. If I had plenty of money I would definitely try it, it has its own distinct beauty apart from fishes/corals/predators

Conski

AC Members
May 8, 2009
honestly if i had to choose between fully stocked reef aqaurium or a jellyfish/octopus tank i would choose the jelly.octo..

you dont seel alot of people wth octos... but with jellyfish thats a other level of awsome. im sure they can provide just as much entertainment as any reef can based on opp.

i expect pics if you do it man ;)

Kwalletje

Registered Member
Mar 16, 2010
Hi, I'm also looking for people who keep jelly's for my study on jellyfish diseases. So if you find someone.. :hi:

Amphiprion

Contain the Excitement...
Feb 14, 2007
Mobile, Alabama
Real Name
Andrew
I know some folks who keep Cassiopeia jellyfish, which are probably the easiest to keep, since they aren't free-swimming very often. I don't know if they are here on AC or not, but I've seen at least one on nano-reef.com, as well as ReefCentral.

davocean

AC Members
Nov 18, 2009
San Diego CA
I saw the jellyaquarium display last year at Max.
Alot of the price went into cabinetry.
The coolest jelly tanks I've seen were japanese tanks, where they had various colored lights hitting making it look like a living lava lamp.
Maybe search japanese jelly tanks.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store