Trio of Chromis Dying

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

RedLion

AC Members
Aug 25, 2009
Houston, TX
I bought 3 blue/green chromis 3 days ago from the LFS. There were no visible signs of diease or wounds. The fish were eating well. Today 2 died witihin hours of each other. 1 is still alive....for now! The dead chromis had a dark purprle bruises on top or by the gills in each case. The last chromi has a similar bruise on top behind his head. I performed a 20% water change. I have a few questions:

1.) What is causing this?
2.) Do I treat the survior?
3.) Does this compromise the small piece of live rock in the QT tank, i.e. do i need to toss it?
4.) Should I just try another set of chromis or do I need to sanatize the QT tank and start over?

20 gallon QT Tank Paramters (prior to 20% water change at same salinty):
Temp = 80 deg
S.G. = 1.025
pH = 8.4
Ammonia = <.25 ppm
Nitrite = <.50 ppm
Nitrate = 10-20 ppm

whyzee250

AC Members
Aug 17, 2005
Salida, CA
This sounds exactly like my issue with the 4 I bought. I chalked it up to adding them to the tank too fast....within 30 minutes of floating them in the tank. My next fish, after they all parished, were a percula clown and a firefish goby. I used the drip method and 4 hours later they went into the tank...and are doing fine to this day.

Your ammonia and nitrite are up a little. I'd try to get them as close to zero as possible. MY parameters were:
Temp 78
S.g. 1.023
Ammonia 0
Nitrite 0
Nitrate 10-20ppm.

I also experienced the same bruising colors before mine died, maybe someone can chime in on this one.

Amphiprion

Contain the Excitement...
Feb 14, 2007
Mobile, Alabama
Real Name
Andrew
Sounds like either a prior issue or potentially ammonia poisoning. Unfortunately, some shipments of Chromis drop like flies, just as you describe, even with good water quality. I'm thinking that something may be happening during shipments or capture that is causing this.

Amphiprion

Feb 14, 2007
Mobile, Alabama
Real Name
Andrew
No. Try to go ahead and cycle the quarantine tank first. Hopefully that will help out a bit and hopefully rule ammonia poisoning out.

RedLion

AC Members
Aug 25, 2009
Houston, TX
So just wait until Ammonia/Nitrite = 0 ppm, then add another set? Should I do more water changes to move this along? Please note that a firefish was in there prior to these guys for about 3 weeks and is now doing fine in the main tank.

whyzee250

AC Members
Aug 17, 2005
Salida, CA
I didn't go back to the Chromis'. I was told they were hardy, but this doesn't seem to be the case.....in my limited experience with them anyway. They could have been doomed before you even purchased them.

How'd you acclimate them?

Amphiprion

Feb 14, 2007
Mobile, Alabama
Real Name
Andrew
So just wait until Ammonia/Nitrite = 0 ppm, then add another set? Should I do more water changes to move this along? Please note that a firefish was in there prior to these guys for about 3 weeks and is now doing fine in the main tank.
I'd actually add some food or something and purposely increase the nitrogen products and then let them subside before I try to add anything. A nice water change before adding the new additions (after cycling the quarantine) would be great. Then, when you are done with quarantining these fish, go ahead and break the tank down and sterilize it and all filter media. YOu'll need to repeat the process for new additions by cycling first, preferably. That is more for future reference.

That being said, green Chromis can be very hardy. But if they come in from a shipment in poor condition (which they often do), it can be a gamble every time, even with a hardy fish.

RedLion

AC Members
Aug 25, 2009
Houston, TX
I acclimated the fish by using the following method:

1.) Placed the fish while still in the closed bag from the LFS in the tank for 15 min.
2.) Opened the bag to let air in and added 1 cup of tank water (slowly).
3.) Allowed another 15 mins to go by after performing Step 2 before placing them into the tank.

I will make sure the QT tank cycles through...it has been up and running for at least 2 months so I am surprised to be having a cycling problem.

Amphiprion

Feb 14, 2007
Mobile, Alabama
Real Name
Andrew
I'm not terribly surprised, given the low amount of total filtering surface area, minimal decor, zero biological diversity, etc., in addition to the added waste of three very metabolically active fish in a 20g tank. I could definitely see you having a potential issue with a sudden influx of more than one fish, at least without artificially cycling.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store