Ghost shrimp diseased??

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

supersudo

AC Members
Jan 17, 2010
San Diego, CA
so i noticed something about one of the shrimp i got today...

i usually find the ones that take a considerable amount of time grooming themselves to be sick or infected with something.. am i right? should i take this one out immediately?

since i put him in the tank at 9pm.. he's stayed in the same spot.. grooming himself for the past 3-4hrs..

platytudes

AC Members
Nov 4, 2006
Panama City, FL
Real Name
Nicole
Did it look milky? Those are usually the ones I find to be sick. I just leave it in there since it's impossible to tear down a tank for one shrimp. Never seems to hurt anything, the shrimp disappears - I assume it dies and gets eaten.

Do you ever feed your shrimp any foods containing calcium? Ken's veggie sticks are recommended by everyone here, but there's also hermit crab food. And cuttlebone for birds might work too.

I'm sure the pet store you got them from sells them as feeders - they probably don't put any thought into what they feed them and keep their tank pretty dirty, so the shrimp that may seem sick are perhaps just having trouble molting from inadequate nutrition/poor water quality.

BioHazard

Here and There
Mar 15, 2009
PA
I wonder if he is going to molt soon. I would think that the loosening exoskeleton could be irritating. I know reptiles usually get 'itchy' before a molt.

Nue

AC Members
Jan 24, 2009
Salt Lake City
Real Name
Grayson
They seem to get a little dazed and just sit there when they have ate to much. If you bought him from a pet store and not a breeder, they are meant for feeders, and very unhealthy. Of course you could rescue them, but you are bound to loose some. There diet is mostly from cannibalism, which isn't very healthy.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store