New young Angels in trouble

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Cichlid Woman

Dwarf cichlids rule ...
Nov 27, 2002
central Illinois
Visit site
New Young Angles in Trouble--HELP

Hi, all,

I bought five quarter-sized silver angels from my local SuperPet store last night. They'd been ordered for me, and they came in a shipment that had been "sitting on the truck for quite awhile," according to the guy at the lfs. They'd been unpacked for about an hour, he said. They were in a tank with a lot of larger angels who looked frayed and a bit beaten up (all from the same shipment).

Frankly, I've had talks with this guy before (the store opened a month ago) about the dirty condition of his tanks, etc. He said it would be fixed ... the tanks have gotten worse instead of better since that time (about two weeks ago). There are water streaks all over the outside glass on all the tanks, and a few of them have green water so thick you can't see the fish inside (I am not exaggerating). He didn't know the pH of the store's water: said he only had a test kit that said "good" or "bad." He also said every time they get a shipment of angels they "lose 12 or 14 of 'em." Showed no concern whatsoever about the fish.

I brought these five babies home because I wanted to try to save them, aside from the fact that I've been looking for this size and type of angel for quite awhile and no one else around here has them. They didn't look as bad as the other angels in the tank, and I thought they might have a chance.

I lost two overnight. Three are still alive; one seems to be doing okay, although he's not swimming around much. The other two are exhibiting classic signs of ammonia or nitrate/nitrite poisoning: gasping at the surface, panting, bright color. I know my tank parameters are good, because I did a regular partial water change four days ago and none of the other fish in the tank are exhibiting any problems whatsoever.

I am furious about what has apparently happened to these fish in shipment, at both the supplier and the store. I intend to take further action on it, maybe register a formal complaint with the store manager. Maybe threaten to turn him in for cruelty to animals if he doesn't clean up his act. I'm not sure yet. Suggestions welcome.

Back to the problem at hand: is there anything I can do for these fish? Is there anything that can help them through ammonia poisoning, because that appears to be the problem? Could the problem be something else? Oh, and the two gasping ones aren't eating, either. The third one did, a little bit of flake, this morning.

Help!!!!

Thanks in advance,

-- Pat

Arctic_Fishery

AC Members
Dec 4, 2002
cleveland,Ohio
fishdomain.netfirms.com
sadly pat it doesn't look like they'll make it....hopefully someone can come along soon that can help.....but about the fish store....

that is ridiculous......but its like no stores care anymore.....they just want to pay some 16 year old 5.75 an hour to do the work cuz they know that they can get away with it.its all about money now a days and its sickning sometimes......luckily i've never seen conditions that bad other wise i would be making complaints......good luck...hope those beautiful fish pull through.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store