Gourami's

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Rhys

Fish Can't Swim Faster Me
Dec 8, 2003
Bris, Qld, Aus
Visit site
Ok i have 2 3 spot gourami's and 2 pink kissing gourami's. and i can always see my kissing gourami's swimming round fearless of me or something but my 3 spot gourami's are always hiding under the filter near rocks. Are they extremely shy??

Uncle Bete

AC Members
Jan 13, 2004
NC / USA
Visit site
shy? yes
fearing for there lives?!? could be!!!

WME: Gouramis don't like gouramis.

I had 2 kissers one time, and by process of rather easy illimination, it had to be one of them that took a chunk out of the side of a Bala Shark.

snakeskinner

AC Members
Dec 27, 2003
Oklahoma
www.okcaa.org
I acquired a gold gourami that is prettymuch fearless of me or the other tank mates. My 3 giant danio's are rather obnoxious, especially when feeding and crash the surface directly in front of and around the gourami when feeding and he just moves on to the next flake. My wife's Dwarf gourami's however are a little more shy but they seem to be getting a little more settled in. We've only had them since the weekend so they need more time to know exactly how they'll be. Once I'm sure the tank has cycled, we'll add another dwarf and a couple congo tetras so maybe they'll be more at ease with other tank mates. cya, Kyle

dethjam316

AC Members
Apr 6, 2003
south of nowhere, north of nothing
gouramis have interesting personalities sometimes. i had a male blue gourami that terrorized all. i have a 3 pearls that were very outgoing...until i moved the 3 moonlights they lived with into another tank. they hid mercilessly. i put the moonlights back, and the pearls seem much more comfortable again.

maybe the kissers are intimidating them. i only have had a couple of them...and not successfully. but they didn't cause any problems with my other gouramis. i wouldn't think your 3spots would *hide* because "gouramis don't like gouramis." generally, such a statement is said against 3spots attacking other gouramis, and 9 times out of 10, i believe males are the culprits. so i would expect your 3spots to be "on the attack," as it were, if there were a problem with this grouping.

anyway, i'm not sure how to help. you could consider adding another and see if it makes them come out more? are yours male? female? unsure?

Uncle Bete

AC Members
Jan 13, 2004
NC / USA
Visit site
I was just refering to my experience with the "gouramis don't like gouramis" because I've never had any that did.
And I guess I was just looking at my tank of pearl's that don't like each other and imagining 2 kissers that could easily be twice the size of dwarf's, and the dwarf's hideing for fear of there lives.

But then again I do have the experience with fish that I always heard were mean or nice as can be. I had a red tailed shark that all I heard about, was mean as could be. One day 3 cory's were hanging out in front of what I'm sure he considered his(RTS) territory, soaking up some UV's. So he comes out and looks at'em like, hey, go away, and one of the cory's turnt around and bit him on the tail. He went away, they stayed. It suprised me completely and I sat there laffin' for a couple of minute's thinkin' about my Bad little Cory.

Rhys

Fish Can't Swim Faster Me
Dec 8, 2003
Bris, Qld, Aus
Visit site
Great News

about 10 mins ago the 3spot gourami's came out of their hidey holes and are swimming around with the other gourami's and fish. Their colour has gone from pale when i bought them to a beautiful blue with pearl like specales on their body and fins.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store