ice fishing for crappies

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Fishfiles1

AC Members
Mar 3, 2008
Lansing Michigan/Mesick Michigan
Real Name
Ben
so my dad wont tell me the secret how we can go out and i will catch one the whole day and he will limit out and i will get skunked, so in southern Michigan,does any buddy want to give out some good secrets on how to catch the crap out of these tight liped paper mouth fish, cause time is wherein down and i want some crappies in the bucket, and i'm dieing to know how to catch them good, i think the only thing i can skunk him out of is big gills. but nothing beats pulling up a bucket load of crappies for dinner, with a pike or two of course

SubRosa

AC Members
Jul 3, 2009
I like to fish as much as the next person but when you cast out your bait or lure and it bounces off the surface that's nature's way of telling you to go skiing!

jaysen

i eat rats like you for breakfast!
Oct 10, 2007
long island, NY
www.myspace.com
I like to fish as much as the next person but when you cast out your bait or lure and it bounces off the surface that's nature's way of telling you to go skiing!
:iagree: sitting on ice pulling fish out of a hole using live bait is kinda boring to me. some may enjoy it, but i havent seen enough appeal in it to try it out. i find the challenge lies in casting and convincing a fish your lure is real. just my opinion, i am not experienced in it to offer advice.
they are having a crappie tournament by me in 2 weeks and i will find out as much as i can for you then.

Stargazer53

AC Members
Oct 4, 2006
Are you both (your father and yourself) using the same bait? And what are you both using? I think more information would help to aid you in becoming a successful crapper catcher. :)

eddiebait

AC Members
Jan 10, 2010
My father died about twenty years ago, I was fourty something years old and was fortunate to have spent a lot of time on the water (and ice) with him over the years. He usually outfished me, so don't feel like the lone ranger. Time spent with family (fishing or doing anything) is way cool, so enjoy yourself and be glad that someone is catching fish. For ice fishing I really prefer the bright yellow stren fishing line. Sometimes the strike is not a pull down, rather a slight tick of slack line that can be seen instead of felt. If you think that the bright line scares the fish (I don't) you can tie a 2 or 3 foot "leader" of clear mono. Also I very much prefer 2 lb test over 4lb.

Beaux

AC Members
Jun 13, 2009
i live on the ross barnette reservour close to jackson mississippi, so i dont do ice fishing for lack o the major ingredient.....ice..lol. i catch them different almost every time i go..lol they funny fish. try bright colored jigs by themselves and yes theres an art to working them too remember a little is alot. i also use a jig n minnow combo alot but the big crappies like the small minows so dont get huge minows. i put the hook innto the minows mouth n bring it out between his eyes so it looks like he is trying to eat the jig when u jig it. nothing looks as good to a crappie as one thing trying to eat another and him gettin em both..hehe. live bait i only fish once in awhile because here the catfish can be a neusance, but catchin a 5 lb chanel cat on 4 lb test is fun..hehehe. once in awhile if ur in the river youll run into a school of hybrid stripes n thas fun too. dont use those fuzzy jigs use the plastic ones and buy the heads n skirts seperate. the heads i use most are bright orange/neon yellow combos and the skirts are as follows black n orange, pumpkinseed, white n neon yellow, black n neon yellow, green n neon yellow. those are some of the most productive colors for me anyways. watch what your dad is doing that your not doing is another thing ;-) lol. anyways good luck n happy fishin!
Beaux

Fishfiles1

AC Members
Mar 3, 2008
Lansing Michigan/Mesick Michigan
Real Name
Ben
to thoughs who dont like ice fishing try pulling a 36 in pike through the ice on a 18 in ultra light rod with 4lb test line and tell me thats not fun. and to thoughs who hellped thank you very much, i found that if i use greed and just barly tap it with a wiggler on and jig very suddle i catch more

eddiebait

AC Members
Jan 10, 2010
A big pike through the ice on a jig pole is a real hoot. A 36 incher is a real big one in my book, you have to be very lucky to hook him just barely in the lip so he don't bite your line off, and it takes a lot of skill to play him out and in the hole without breaking the line. My fishing cap goes off to you my friend, keep up the good work and good luck with those crappies.
PS--Maybe my suggestion of trying 2 lb test might be a little light.

Tay690

Addicted to Loaches
Feb 5, 2009
:iagree: sitting on ice pulling fish out of a hole using live bait is kinda boring to me. some may enjoy it, but i havent seen enough appeal in it to try it out. i find the challenge lies in casting and convincing a fish your lure is real. just my opinion, i am not experienced in it to offer advice.
they are having a crappie tournament by me in 2 weeks and i will find out as much as i can for you then.
:iagree:

Haven't used live bait since I was 10 years old so I get where you're coming from...

Most common mistake people make when working a jig...overworking the jig

Slight twitches spaced out for small panfish (often times just yanking on the line slightly is enough action for a small panfish)

When trying to get a territorial reaction (like you see the guys fishing bass tourneys on TV) it's better to rip the jig harder and more aggressively

I did just watch a show on crappie / bluegill about 2 weeks ago...and as far as I remember they were working tiny mr twister jigs on like a 1/8 ounce head (Different colour jighead, different colour jig)

They seemed to catch like 10:1 ratio of Rockbass : Crappie

but when you're pulling out 100 fish in a day...it's hella fun

Edit: and worst case scenario...ADD GARLIC! fish absolutely love the smell of garlic for whatever reason...I actually dose my lures with a bottle of garlic guard that my buddy gave me...and boy does it work

should re-apply every 10-15 casts

but don't let your dad see you doing that lol

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store