the infamous 5 gallon diy canister filter. can it be done????

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

iamvictor2k

AC Members
Jan 19, 2010
tennessee
of course the bucket and lid
IMG_8760.JPG

and the hardware that i got from a plumbing supply store. 1 inch with nut and rubber washer. and female attaching piece also 1 inch.

IMG_8763.JPG
IMG_8764.JPG
made 2 holes in bucket for male fitting and rubber washer to fit in very tightly.
IMG_8765.JPG
IMG_8767.JPG
IMG_8766.JPG
i then drilled holes into the lip of the bucket for metal hook washer and nut. started with 6.
did a test and realized i needed 10 more to keep the lid from popping.
IMG_8769.JPG
IMG_8771.JPG
IMG_8772.JPG

IMG_8760.JPG IMG_8763.JPG IMG_8764.JPG IMG_8765.JPG IMG_8767.JPG IMG_8766.JPG IMG_8769.JPG IMG_8771.JPG IMG_8772.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:

iamvictor2k

AC Members
Jan 19, 2010
tennessee
drilled more holes at every angle support on the lip of the bucket and then did a test. successful so far at about 20-30 psi.
IMG_8775.JPG

IMG_8783.JPG
then i sealed the bottom of the fittings to the lid to insure no leakage.

IMG_8785.JPG

MORE TO COME

IMG_8775.JPG IMG_8783.JPG IMG_8785.JPG

iamvictor2k

AC Members
Jan 19, 2010
tennessee
yes fitting gasket and nut were about 89 cents a piece and the silicone is just precaution. then tested the gasket didn't leak at 20-30 psi.

CWO4GUNNER

USN/USCG 1974-2004 Weps
The inlet and outlet fittings are the easy part to seal becasue their small diameter size and comparative thickness make them able to withstand the pressure no problem. I used 3/4 inch PVC fittings with garden hose washers $0.35 a peice I think. The large surface area of the canister walls and lid are a completely different story meaning hydraulic pressure has a much greater area to exert force, the force of the entire aquarium volume of water since the canister will be under aquarium. If the walls of the canister are not strong enough and the lid not thick enough, they will deform under pressure and brake the lid seal. Assuming of course that the lid has an O-ring seal and that O-ring seal is has a corresponding knife edge sealing edge to compress it.

I know I built one.

"13"

Thirteen
Jun 17, 2007
Canada
I have been messing around with different ideas to build a 5g can filter off and on for a while. I just recently came across this company that sells these "Gamma Seal" lids for different size buckets. here is a short vid of what im talking about [YT]<object width="425" height="349"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/iNb3TE8z9EU&border=1&color1=0x6699&color2=0x54abd6&hl=en_US&feature=player_embedded&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/iNb3TE8z9EU&border=1&color1=0x6699&color2=0x54abd6&hl=en_US&feature=player_embedded&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" allowScriptAccess="always" width="425" height="349"></embed></object>[/YT]
was going to call the company to see if they ever did any pressure testing on the design. If it seals as good as they say and can withstand pressure then i think it would be a great addition to the DIY 5g canister filter.

Would like to see some pics and updates of your DIY project.

CWO4GUNNER

USN/USCG 1974-2004 Weps
The concern with an under tank DIY canister is internal pressure from the tank trying to force its way out of the canister through the weakest spot, the lid. It has to be rigid enough not to warp or bow up allowing water to get between the lit and seal.

Of course these pressure concerns are greatly reduced simply by placing the canister at the same level as the tank, but you wont be able to hide it then. My DIY canister worked great sitting next to my tank on a stool for the 6 months I had it running. But whenever I tried to place it on the floor, the sides and lid would bow like a boiler about to explode on a cartoon and water would start leaking allot around the lid as the lid was forced up off its O-ring.

You have to start with a very strong container specifically designed to take internal pressure like a rug shampoo canister wet/vac canister, pressure cooker, exc, exc. Even a very large PVC pipe would work but it cannot be thin. If you can bend the lid with your hands its too weak.

Last edited:
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store