Emerald Crab Gave birth

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Techmarine

Registered Member
Jan 28, 2010
Hello all,
I'm very new to looking after any type off fish but i decided to start at the deep end and look after a reef aquarium and on a small scale, its only 54 litres with 10 kilos of live rock and an 1 1/2inches of live substrate at the moment, i do intend to add more rock, at the moment i only have an emerald crab and red legged hermit crab plus a few corals and sponges which came on the rock i also have loads of small creatures, bristle worm x1 , death plague x1, other things i havn't identified yet but i'll post some pics soon, My main reason for joining the forum is my emerald crab gave birth to 50-100 babys, i turned all pumps and skimmers off, added a air stone and 36 hours later i can still see a few alive the rest i can't see and have no idea where they have gone any ideas on how to care for them cus at some point all my pumps need to go back on, nitrate levels are rising fast and i can't have that my water quality was perfect, help!!!!

Nolapete

Monster Tank Builder
May 29, 2007
New Orleans, LA
Umm, bad idea to turn off your pumps. The baby crabs will hide in your live rock and if there are no predators, some will likely make it.

Turn everything back on immediately.

Conski

AC Members
May 8, 2009
yea i was about to say i dont know anything about that stuff but the pumps should be on lol, basically survival on of the fittest

Techmarine

Registered Member
Jan 28, 2010
Turned it all back on when i couldn't see any babys on the substrate, they have all diappeared, pumps where off for 36 hours, did a partial water change last night, and all seems fine i'll test again tonight

Fishfriend1

Fishlover Extraordinaire
Dec 11, 2009
Southeastern PA
Real Name
Mr. Palmer
if u dont want to keep all the survivors u can give them away or sell them.

Techmarine

Registered Member
Jan 28, 2010
Well its been just over a month and i have had no sign of any babys in my tank but in the last two nights i have spotted at least 1 baby crab per night, the first night i spotted a small crab with transparent legs and claws, small hairs on its legs and the smallest green body about the size of the letter d on you keyboard, i'm hopeing to see more. last night i could see one in my corals again its very small but this time it was much harder to see because of its position, all i could rearly see was its eyes reflecting in the red light i view the tank with at night, and the occasional pretruding of its translucent claws, other than that i'm gonna post the video's as promised but no time recently

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store