pH Drop with Water Change & Gravel Cleaning

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Panda1

Registered Member
Jan 14, 2004
Florida
Visit site
Please Help -- At a loss to understand pH drop after water change
I am a newbie to fish keeping & am experiencing a pH drop when I change (and clean gravel) approximately 20% of my aquarium water. My aquarium has been set up for 4 weeks and is still cycling.

Question: What is causing the drop in pH after water change & gravel cleaning?
Is it contaminates in gravel?
Not adding Seachem Neutral Regulator to make-up water?
Please help as I am at a loss to understand the pH drop.

Please Note: I have reviewed the responses to Candgrrl's pH problem. Article was very informative & I will run out today to buy a KH test kit. The responses address adding baking soda & I was wondering if adding Seachem Neutral Regulator would accomplish the same goal?

My current aquarium water chemistry reading as follows:

pH (before water change) = 6.9 as measured by PinPoint meter & Aquarium Pharmaceuticals liquid test kit
Ammonia = .25 ppm
Nitrite = 1.5 - 2.0 ppm (currently in Nitrite spike of cycling)
General hardness = 143
Water temperature: 78 F
Alkalinity: Unknown – Need to buy test kit

I measured the pH of the new water (with Pinpoint meter & test kit) I added to the aquarium & it measured approximately 7.2. The other readings as follows:

Ammonia = .25 ppm
Nitrite = 0 ppm
General hardness = 143

I treat the make-up water with AmQuel (rate of .5 ml per gallon) + and let stand for 24 hours before adding to aquarium.

After I add the make-up water, within hours the pH drops to 6.2 - 6.3 every time. In approximately three days, the pH slowly returns to 6.9

When I first set-up the aquarium, I added Seachem Neutral Regulator (7.0) to the water. I have not added this product to the make-up water.

As to fish I have in a forty-one measured gallons (tank trade-stated size is 49 gallon) aquarium as follows:

4 Panda Corydoras
3 Ottos
6 White Clouds
1 Betta

I do not have live plants nor use CO2 injection.

The make-up water was tested after it was in a plastic (new) bucket for 24 hours.

My best "guess" is that due to my lack of experience & control in feeding the fish and resultant increase in biological waste has created an acidic gravel base. When I clean the gravel, I may be releasing acid trapped in the gravel. Is this likely or even possible?

Would adding the pH neutralizer to the make-up water help?

Thank you,
Panda

PumaWard

In loving memory of Meeko
Jul 23, 2003
Vermont
First off, don't add any chemicals to your water that changes pH. They aren't necessary unless you have pH's that are extremes, like below 6.0 or above 8.0, and even then you shouldn't use commercially sold chemicals that alter pH, I would use a more natural means.

As for the baking soda, it will raise your kH, but your pH will also be raised. I don't think kH is your problem, however. You said that you didn't treat the new water, which means it has a different pH and that water slightly raised your pH.

What is the pH out of your tap, BTW?

Panda1

Registered Member
Jan 14, 2004
Florida
Visit site
Thanks for the quick response PumaWard,

I treat the make-up water with AmQuel + (rate of .5ml per gallon) and let stand 24 hours prior to adding to aquarium. I measured the pH of the make-up water just before I add it to the tank. The ph measures approximately 7.2.

Another thing I notice is the drop in pH before I even add the water to my tank. The pH level directly from my tap is around 7.6 and like I stated, it is down to 7.2 after sitting in a new, clean bucket.

I measue the pH level with a PinPoint monitor and a liquid test kit. The rersultant measurement are within .2 of each other. I tend to go with the calibrated PinPoint meter simply because, as a newbie, I find the color comparisons on the test kit charts to be somewhat difficult to match.

If you do not think it is the KH, what would be another possibility?
When I get my KH kit today and the KH is low, then would you think this is possibly my cause?

Do you agree with using baking soda to raise KH? If so, what would be your recommendation as to measured amount per gallon?

Thanks again,
Panda

Uncle Bete

AC Members
Jan 13, 2004
NC / USA
Visit site
I would think the KH has a high possibility of being the cause.

I have tap water with what I consider a low KH value @ 80 ppm. And is around 7.0 - 7.2 pH.

If I keep up the weekly water changes its ok, but any longer my pH will start to drop.

Alot of things can affect pH. But the 2 main one's that come to mind are KH & CO2.

I don't know what filtration you are using or the size of tank. But when you said something about the pH comming back up, my first thought was CO2 being removed. Most likely from surface aggitation.

Baking Soda is some potent stuff. Be careful!

I'm just getting back around aquariums so I'm pretty rusty with any "facts". But I'm sure someone can give you better advice with things like baking soda dosing. But I'm thinking 1/8 teaspoon to a 55 gal. would make an impact. If you try this before someone with more knowledge comes along, start with half that. You can test you water in just a few minutes after dosing it.

Seachem Neutral Regulator: pretty sure i've used that a few yrs ago. If your going to have plants and lights! Don't! I'm pretty sure the main ingredient for these products is Phosphate. Algae likes that stuff!

Like Puma, I try to avoid adding anything to my water.
And like I said here, my weekly water changes are a neccesity, to keep the pH up, were as some people can do there's every two weeks just for all the other reasons.

Hope this is more help than confussion

Slappy*McFish

Global Moderator
Staff member
Feb 18, 2002
Raleigh, NC
Get a KH test kit, get some readings of both your tank water and the tap water. I don't think it's your tank's KH however, as your pH always seems to return to normal.
After I add the make-up water, within hours the pH drops to 6.2 - 6.3 every time. In approximately three days, the pH slowly returns to 6.9
....so you do have some buffering capacity(KH).

I see no problem with people adding chemicals to their water when they absolutely have to, to avoid pH crashes due to a low KH level. But, I would save my money and use baking soda or crushed coral instead of store-bought products which are basically the same thing.

Last edited:

TKOS

Registered User of Fish
Feb 6, 2003
Nova Scotia, Canada
tkos.unsta.com
Most LFS will test fresh water for free. Have them run the full compliment of tests on both tap water and week old tank water. If your kH is low those packs of perfect pH tend to work, but as was stated can get pricey. What is in your tank? Type of rocks and plants and decorations? And what is your full setup?

Grassguy

Honky-Tonk Superman
Oct 20, 2003
Hainesville, GA
Visit site
Right now, with the info at hand, I would say put some crushed coral inot your filter. That has helped me in the past (with both KH and pH)

RTR

AC Members
Oct 5, 1998
Braddock Heights, MD
First off, if you are testing your tap water fresh from the tap, that test tells you nothing. You need to either aerate a tap sample half an hour to an hour before testing, or let it sit out overnight in a shallow bowl to gas off/equibrate with the air before testing. Comparing fresh tap to 24 hours later in the tank will only confuse you.

Second, as already suggested, you need to check the KH of the tank and tap before you select any course of action.

Let us know what those results are and we can make better suggestions.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store