Never QT'd before. need advice.

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

whyzee250

AC Members
Aug 17, 2005
Salida, CA
With freshwater i never quarantined fish, but since marine fish are more expensive i want to take the time to do it properly.

I have a 10g to use with heater, Hob and UG filter. Should i remove the UG and subtrate and go bare glass? What is the prefered method?
I know some people observe the fish for a given time, while others medicate as a preventative measure. ANy help would be greatly appreciated.

hollyfish2000

AC Members
Nov 10, 2009
I can only speak from QT experience for freshwater, but I use a small HOB on a 10 gallon. When the QT is not in service, I hang the HOB on another tank to keep it "populated" with bacteria. I also "decorate" the QT in a way to make the fish comfortable. So I have a gravel substrate with fake plants, etc. I do not pre-medicate. I QT for at least two weeks.

Amphiprion

Contain the Excitement...
Feb 14, 2007
Mobile, Alabama
Real Name
Andrew
It is best to keep the tank bottom bare. You'll want to cycle the tank each time you use it or keep the media populated by bacteria at all times. You should also have plenty of water on hand for water changes, if necessary.

Now, each time you break down the quarantine, you'll need to get new media or bleach the old. Otherwise, you'll defeat the purpose of quarantine.

whyzee250

AC Members
Aug 17, 2005
Salida, CA
I'm pulling the UG and going bare bottom....this I've decided.

If the fish that are put in there show no signs of disease I'm assuming I still change out filter media, correct?

Amphiprion

Feb 14, 2007
Mobile, Alabama
Real Name
Andrew
Yes. You'll need to get sterile media afterwards. You don't want to introduce contaminated media to the display. Just remember you still want to cycle the tank either manually or through pre-seeded media first. It just has to be new (or sterile) media before you pre-seed or cycle.

whyzee250

AC Members
Aug 17, 2005
Salida, CA
So far my fish have been in QT for a week and a half. The skin on the Clowns seems to be fine and the firefish and blenny never showed signs of a parasite anyway. This is the hard part......I know i have to leave my tank fishless for 5 to 7 more weeks. Is there anyway to speed this up? I rescaped my tank and now I can hardly wait to get them back in there!

Amphiprion

Feb 14, 2007
Mobile, Alabama
Real Name
Andrew
Heh, I understand your eagerness, but there's not way to speed things up without risk. Now that you've gone through the trouble, just stay the course.

platytetrafan

AC Members
Jan 20, 2007
NY
These are new fish you are QTing? If so a good 4 weeks to make sure they have no disease I am doing the process right now I am as eager as you are go get mine in my main tank but it is wise to take your time. Better to make sure they are healthy then to jeopardize the healthy fish you have in your main tank. LOL as it is my catfish in my main tank came down with what I think was a fungus so since I can't use my QT I had to buy a large bucket am actually using a container they use for ice I put a bubbler in there to give them more o2 and medicating with pimafix so far so good they seem to be doing better. Good luck with your fish and take your time will be so worth it in the end and less work for you later! :).

Jstdv8

AC Members
Feb 22, 2010
Amp,
I have been just leaving my HOB filter in the QT for a week after the fish (or whatever I'm QTing are gone and then put it back in the sump. My thinking was that ich can only survive without a host for 3 days so if I wait 7 days there shouldnt be anything living in the filter except beneficial bacteria. What are your thoughts on this?
If I know I won't be making a purchase any time soon I just let it dry up and then place the sponge in the sump a few dasy before my next purchase. Is this bad or acceptable?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store