Your Experience with Dwarf Gourami

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

How long did your Dwarf Gourami Live?

• Died within the first week

Votes: 2 3.3%
  • Died within the first month

Votes: 14 23.0%
  • Died within the first six months

Votes: 19 31.1%
  • Died within the first year

Votes: 5 8.2%
  • Was still going strong after a year

Votes: 21 34.4%

• Total voters

ExtraHannah

Learning as fast as I can!
Dec 6, 2009
Central NC
I just love the little dwarf gourami, but I keep reading people saying they can't keep them alive. I'm going to try it, but I thought a bit of a more scientific poll would be interesting.

So, if you have ever had dwarf gourami (Colisa Ialia - correct?), I would greatly appreciate it if you would vote in the poll. :hi:

If your fish died due to agression or other issues other than just poor health/breeding, please let me know in the replies.

Thanks so much!

dtd87

AC Members
Nov 29, 2009
I had mine for over a year and a half, then I did some rescaping and they both went crazy and offed eachother.

thorpbrian

AC Members
Oct 7, 2009
La Center, WA
Mine's still alive working on 6 months...I didn't vote because he's the only one I've had and he isn't dead. :)

ExtraHannah

Learning as fast as I can!
Dec 6, 2009
Central NC
Thanks guys! It's interesting and educational to hear experiences.

I read somewhere that they often have flukes and treating with API General Cure as a matter of course isn't a bad idea. Any thoughts on that? I'm not big on putting meds in the water unless completely necessary.

JennaH

Registered Member
Jan 29, 2010
i just got 2 males a couple days ago. i love these guys! they have great color and are getting along great in the tank. no aggression issues so far

lime_smash

AC Members
May 22, 2009
Missouri
I've had several dwarf gourami. Most died within six months from what I believe to be some sort of bacterial infection.

I did have one that lived to be about a year and a half.

rstrobel

AC Members
Jan 15, 2010
Modesto, CA
A couple of weeks ago I had the same thought cross my mind that you have right now. Everyone talks about how sickly they are, but I went to PetSmart and bought one anyway. They all seemed healthy in the tank at the store, but once I got it home I had trouble getting him to eat. After about 4 days of sitting in my quarantine, he started showing a few white spots from ich so I began treating him for that. It's been three weeks now that I've had the fish and although the ich is gone, he still is just really lethargic, won't eat, and hasn't seemed to recover at all. I was back at the same PetSmart today and one of the remaining dwarves from the same batch was swimming around in their tank with a piece of fungus about the size of a pencil eraser growing on its back.

I'd only buy one if you have a quarantine tank that you can devote solely to it for at least a month and even then I don't recommend it.

Stargazer53

AC Members
Oct 4, 2006
I think the condition of dwarf gouramis and how long they live depend largely on the stock you purchase from. The ones I have purchased in the past in the big box stores were usually less than stellar. I wonder if there's anyone breeding dwarf gouramis? I think home-raised gouramis would fare better and be much healthier. :)

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store