ICH, REALLY NEED SOME HELP

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

viethluu

AC Members
Jan 12, 2010
my tank suddenly is invaded by ich, the little white spot on the fins of my fish. I got one yellow tang and one blue trigger, and two of them is currently infected by the disease. I can't take them out to Quarantine because my tank is crowded with live rock and caves. Can some one help me with this issue. I REALLY NEED SOME HELP.
VOLUME: 50 G
pH: 7.9
NH3: 0 PPM
NO3: .5 PPM
NO2: .25 PPM
SALINITY: 1.024
:1zhelp:

Beaux

AC Members
Jun 13, 2009
i dont think id add table salt to my reef tank if i was you. rock salt works to some extent in FRESHWATER tanks to my knowlege thats not for salt water or reef tanks. give it awhile and someone here can answer you im sure. i have a reef tank but have never hadto deal with ich so im basicaly cluelesshow to handle it in a sw tank. i think rid-ich makes one for saltwater but im not positive. be patient though someone here will know more than me, jus dont go addin table salt to ur tank please..lol.
Beaux

Amphiprion

Contain the Excitement...
Feb 14, 2007
Mobile, Alabama
Real Name
Andrew
That does not work in marine tanks. Actually, the opposite is what is advised. By dropping the salinity, you cause the water to be hyposaline when compared to full strength seawater. This, however, cannot be done in the main tank and should only be attempted in a quarantine system. Unfortunately, the same goes for any other options I'd recommend. Some have had luck with some of the newer remedies out there, such as herbtana, but I can only comment on a few. Most of the others I've seen in action do nothing to stop the ich, which is why I prefer tried and true methods for treatment.

danish3210

AC Members
Apr 21, 2009
Gradually increase the temperature up to 84 degree and gradually add salt. Do a 25% water change every 3rd day.The is how I heal Ich about a week ago. This treatment will take about a week or maybe less but be careful about the water conditions for next time. Ich out breaks occur when water parameters are compromised.

Amphiprion

Contain the Excitement...
Feb 14, 2007
Mobile, Alabama
Real Name
Andrew
I'll repeat, adding more salt to a marine system will NOT cure ich. You'll just end up taxing the fishes' osmotic capabilities--potentially beyond repair.

viethluu

AC Members
Jan 12, 2010
I'll repeat, adding more salt to a marine system will NOT cure ich. You'll just end up taxing the fishes' osmotic capabilities--potentially beyond repair.
Gotcha. Right now I just slowly increase my temperature to 84F and putting garlic-guard to my tank. The Quarantine option is out of reach for me because my Tang just hide himself underneath live rocks, thus there is no way I can catch and put him in a separate tank:help:

Beaux

AC Members
Jun 13, 2009
one of my lfs's rents out a fish trap might can try that my tank was a 40 though and i couldnt fit the thig in it i ended up taking out all my rock to catch 2 little damsels..lol
Good luck!
Beaux

Ace25

www.centralcoastreefclub. com
Oct 3, 2005
www.centralcoastreefclub.com
This is just my remedy, it works for me, but I can't promise it will work for others. Keep good water quality, feed foods soaking in garlic and vitamins, and the most important piece, my cleaner wrasse. I have had ich in my system for as long as I have had a SW tank it seems. I am one of those "live with it" types of people and when I start to see Ich outbreaks I know I am not keeping up on maintenance or something happened in the tank to put some parameter out of whack, which in turn causes a little stress on the fish in the tank and Ich starts to take hold.

There are many people that say garlic does nothing, and that may be true, I have no proof one way or the other, but I feel like it is doing good. Also people will claim that cleaner wrasses are not suitable for aquariums, and that they don't eat Ich parasites off of fish, both I disagree with. Most cleaner wrasses are not suitable, but there is one, the Labroides dimidiatus, which I have had over 2 years now without problems, have read many success stories with this one cleaner wrasse in aquariums, AND I see it cleaning Ich off of my Potter's Angel whenever it appears. It also cleans all the fish daily regardless if there is ich or not. With a tank full of wrasses, cleaner shrimp are no longer an option for me.

viethluu

AC Members
Jan 12, 2010
Thank you every one. My fish is recovering right now. I think it is the effect of garlic guard. I also soak the food with garlic pasta, put shaving brush macro algae at the bottom of my tank for more filtration, and buy the cleaning fish that Ace recommended. I will keep update if the disease creeps back again.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store