4' tank to 6' tank or 50G to 110G

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

keitha

AC Members
Jan 19, 2010
England
The eBay gods have been very, very kind to me this week and have allowed me to pick up a 6feet x 2 feet x 1.5 feet (110 gallon) tank very cheaply complete with a 250 watt heater and an Ultra Jet UJ3337 external pump which flows 1000 l per hour.

Although I got it all cheap, the filter does need working on, namely the outlet connector has spilt and it needs new o rings. The pipe work has stiffened and is not really suitable any more.

My plan is to clean up the tank, replace the sealant on the front as it has algae growing between it and the glass. Once this is all done I want to swap all the equipment from my 4 feet tank (50 gallon). This is 2 Eheim 2213 filters one with spray bar, one with diffuser. The combined output of the filters is 880 l per hour. 2 x 150 watt heaters, a 36” day light tube and 3x12 LED blue night light.

The question is, it a good idea to swap everything? I have no problem with the Eheims, they are brilliant, water clarity is crystal clear, the filters are well established biologically. The heaters are brand new.

All help, comments greatly received!

Cheers!

Rbishop

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 30, 2005
Real Name
Mr. Normal
Are you keeping the smaller tank running?

keitha

AC Members
Jan 19, 2010
England
I'll transfer everything over. I was planning on taking one filter and heater into the new tank and get it stable. Then a few days later swap the fish and the other half of the equipment over.

CWO4GUNNER

USN/USCG 1974-2004 Weps
If the 50 tank was your only tank and your replacing it with the 110 rather then expanding to a second tank, you definitely have MTS under control.

The swap shouldn't be a problem especially if you plan to keep both tanks running until your larger tank has fully cycled. For guaranteed sucess I would transplant the fish a couple at a time rather then all at once even though you believe it is cycles the sudden rather than gradual bio load increase could cause a spike. Give the fish transition of at least 2 extra weeks.

Rbishop

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 30, 2005
Real Name
Mr. Normal
If it is replacing the other tank completely..swap it all over at once...there won't be any issues...you already have ample filtration and bacteria for the bio-load you have..putting it all in a tank double the size isn't going to be a problem. What little bacteria you lose form the surfaces in the 50 gallon that you can't move, will be back in 24 hours in the new tank..simple truth.

keitha

AC Members
Jan 19, 2010
England
Cheers guys!

All I gotta do is finish of this the tank and get the stand made with enough clearence for bigger filters should the need arise and get it in the house!

mountain_webste

AC Members
May 2, 2007
B-more
You'll definitely be fine. I just did this a couple weeks ago. Moved all my fish and my filter media, no problems.

CWO4GUNNER

USN/USCG 1974-2004 Weps
Moving the fish all at once is actuality the way I have always done it even with the occasional .25-.50 PPM spike which I managed, I just find it hard to recommend it to someone else and rather lean on the side of caution for their benefit. Albeit, the advice to do it is also sound. :thumbsup:

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store