Olive Nerite out of the water

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Rythic

AC Members
Feb 25, 2009
Hey quick question. I recently added some Olive Nerite snails to my tank and one of them is cruising around out of the water cleaning one of my rocks. The tank is very humid since it is for skippers. Should I place him back in the water or is he fine? He seems fine, just didnt know if they normally wander out of the water or not. Thanks!

Sincerely,

Snail Nooby

Amphiprion

Contain the Excitement...
Feb 14, 2007
Mobile, Alabama
Real Name
Andrew
They are a marginal species, almost always exposed during low tides. They also climb up on top of Spartina grasses in the wild. I see them that way all the time here.

Michwol42795

CanTANKerous
Dec 28, 2009
Chattanooga, TN
One time I found one of my Nerites on top of my tank :nono:. Just put him back in the water and he should be fine.

Dr. Awkward

AC Members
Jan 11, 2009
Texas
Yeah, put him back before he goes too far. I found one of my nerites from a kitchen tank in my garbage disposal. He was fine and is still kicking to this day.

Dr. Awkward

AC Members
Jan 11, 2009
Texas
It took me about two hours. I finally pulled out the flash light and looked in there "just in case" and found him sucking down rust. It was a little gross but I'm glad he's okay.

PlantedWetLife

AC Members
Aug 28, 2009
Saskatchewan, Canada
if all your nerites leave the water, it's a good sign that your nitrate levels have spiked, or some other imbalance they don't like.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store