Tetra community tank

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

cactusgal

AC Members
Dec 1, 2009
Alberta ,Canada
Well I have decided to go with the tetra community tank,
55g ,so far i have 6 neons,3 candy cane(planning to add 3 more),2 rummynose(planning to add 4 more),3 diamond(planning to add 3 more),the tank was peaceful until I added the diamond tetras...they are a very active fish...flit all over the tank..is this normal behaviour for them?
I was also wondering about congo tetras,does anyone have experience with these??

zeltora88

AC Members
Feb 15, 2010
I personaly have the diamond tetras in my tank and yes they are a very active fish.

if you are looking for hardy tetras that school well and are peaceful try
Bleeding Heart Tetras
Perstella tetras
Black Neon Tetras
White/Black skirt Tetras

I also have red/blue columbian and fantail sepre tetras but those are add at your own risk becuase they can somtimes become agressive

from what i have heard congo tetras while beautiful are rather fragile so make sure your tank is up and running

platytudes

AC Members
Nov 4, 2006
Panama City, FL
Real Name
Nicole
I think if you go with too many more species of tetra, your aquarium is going to look cluttered in the midwater area. You also have tetras that are sort of incompatible with each other, IMO. Neons and rummynose are very quiet and peaceful fish, they need big schools, bigger than 6, to feel comfortable. 6 of the larger tetras should be enough, but I bet your "candy cane" tetras are going to be fin nippers. They look like bleeding hearts, black phantom and serpae tetras which are all nippy.

I might be wrong because I've actually never heard of this tetra before, but it's a real species, Hyphessobrycon sp:
http://www.thatpetplace.com/pet/prod/216128/i/7/product.web

Diamond tetras will be very active and a little nippy too. I would have personally chosen something like lemon tetras instead for this group. The smallest tetras I keep (and I too, have a 55 gallon community with tetras and kribensis) are blue tetras and silvertip tetras. I love neons and rummynoses, but I would keep them in smaller tanks in big schools. Either species makes a stunning showpiece for a 10-15 gallon tank. But they sort of get lost in a tank like this unless you make them a focal point and up their schools to a dozen each or so.

Congo tetras will be even more active than the diamond tetras, plus if there are nippy ones in your group their long fins will be like a red flag in front of a bull. They make great tankmates for fish like rainbowfish though.

My advice, skip them and go with pristella tetras maybe. Or black neons or bloodfin tetras if you like the look of them. But don't add more than one more species, and research it carefully. Tetras don't always get along so well with each other. Bleeding hearts and black skirt tetras are notoriously nippy. Very tough fish though, especially the black skirts which are cold tolerant.

John B

AC Members
Feb 10, 2010
I think Congo's are the ultimate tetra - make sure you get enough to school and keep on top of your water changes

cactusgal

AC Members
Dec 1, 2009
Alberta ,Canada
So an update on my tetra tank,Well I still have the neons(6),candycane(5),diamond(5)
rummy nose(2)...I need more..just cant find them right now.
I did add 3 young congo's....now what I have found is that yes the diamond and candy cane are very active,they chase,nip ect.
While the neon and rummynose are peacful.
I am currently setting up another tank 37g..just for the neons and rummynose,I will also be adding my endlers(all males) to this tank when its ready.
This will keep the smaller more peaceful tetras together.

In the 55 gallon I also added a pair of red spotted severums(the lfs owner convinced me to add them ....they are wonderful) very peacful..they certainly have calmed the larger tetras down..lol
So this 55 gallon will not just be tetra tank,just the larger ones and the severums.
I just love these severums,they are so graceful and curious,they make a great focal point in the tank now!

I hope to get some descent pics soon!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store