Clown Loaches

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

keitha

AC Members
Jan 19, 2010
England
Hi there,

I have got 5 clown loaches all living happily together, 2 x 5" 2x 3" and 1 x 2". The have been moved around a bit over the last few weeks but they have finally settled into there home tank for about a week now.

My concern is that some of them are paler than the others. One of the 5" is very pale, but very active, the smallest on isn't pale but inactive. I know they lose colour whilst under stress, but could there be any thing else wrong with them. I'd hate to lose any of them as they are so expensive to replace if they are bigger than an inch!

Thanks for any advice you can give.

fishorama

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
SF Bay area, CA
Are they skinny? the paleness is probably stress like you said. Lots of good foods & hiding places will help. Keep an eye out for losing weight, chronic wasting syndrome is possible.

Give then a few weeks to settle in before you worry too much. Good luck!

andyjs

AC Members
Jun 6, 2009
Ohio
Actually, with some of the Botiine loaches, becoming pale is a dominance display. If it's one of the biggest that is pale, but acting normally he is probably just trying to let the others know that he is in charge.

If they are fat and active, they are probably healthy. If they start getting skinny, that should worry you more than them being pale.

keitha

AC Members
Jan 19, 2010
England
They are all fat and eating, they dont seem to be losing any weight. I will keep any eye on them.

I noticed today that they all seem to have scratches on their scales as though they have been trying to get in places to small for them or running into the stones. There hiding spot at the moment is behind my granit block wall, but those edges are relatively smooth. Is this a sign of impending doom along with the paleness?

fishorama

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
SF Bay area, CA
Surface scratches can also be from fighting. Keep the water extra clean, they should heal pretty fast. Do you have several hiding spots? Give them time

keitha

AC Members
Jan 19, 2010
England
They have a 2 feet long granite block wall to play and hid behind/in. Water is in great condition as my catfish had a scratch and its healed up really nicely.

Want to get them all fit and healthy so that as soon as my 6 feet tank is ready I can fill it and transfer them all over to establish the own, new territories without any worries.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store