Flipover Disease

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

avoxo

FORE!!!!!!!!!!!
Jan 25, 2003
North Providence, RI
Visit site
One of my goldfish has always had flip over disease since the first time I fed him. It is always a struggle to watch this beautiful fish float upside down after every feeding. He will just go to the top of the tank for 6 hours or so, every now and then he will try to right himself and swim to the bottom the just float back up. I have tried everything to fix this. Feeding fresh peas, soaking the all three kinds of pellets that I feed him, but nothing seems to work. Luckily I am feeding only once, lightly every other day because of the colder weather but when it warms up I will be feeding twice a day. The nitrates are less than 5, so that cannot be it.

Anyone have some advice on trying to fix this? Or should I just allow the fish to float and right himself and keep my fingers crossed that he will not get any sores on his belly.

Cearbhaill

Reads the Gribble Report
Mar 22, 2003
South Florida USA
Visit site
Sometimes despite everything we do one will just float and/or flip.
I've got one who does this at times- it's hard to watch. She can always swim if she tries but it's like she gets too tired to fight it so just naps upside down in a secure corner. I've pretty much narrowed hers down to it being a food thing- I feed what I consider to be the best available and once in a while she just flips.

I'm sure you've looked into it as much as I have. I really don't think there is a definitive answer.

goldene

AC Members
Oct 15, 2003
Visit site
Hi Avoxo, how is your fish doing, you call it flip over desease, we call it swimbladder because thats what makes them float, sometimes its caused by taking too much air in when feeding (when the food floats at the top of the water) or if the nitrate is high that can also cause it 'bad water conditions' or sometimes its a down to a bacteria problem, my rykin troubled with swim bladder she got it on and off, since I gave her peas and I treated her with interpet swim bladder treatment and then bacterial treatment, touch wood she has been ok. do you have that where you are.

avoxo

FORE!!!!!!!!!!!
Jan 25, 2003
North Providence, RI
Visit site
I have not heard of Interpet brand. I don't think they sell that brand here in the US. The fish is fine only when I feed him is when he floats. The water parameters are all good its just when I feed him. Very disappointing. :shake:

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store