CONFESSION! I FLUSH FISH!

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Rbishop

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 30, 2005
Real Name
Mr. Normal
Okay...lets not get too excited now.

Things are not always perfect in the real world..heck...ask Reefscape...he faces it minute by minute. :naughty:

A lot of us(you) stretch the truth a bit me thinks.

You want great fish but complain about paying more than $2 for one.

You don't want to bother with a QT, then gripe your butts off when you add fish and others die.

You buy the fish first, "because it was pretty", then ask for help because you have no clue on how to take care of it properly.

Your first blame is to put it all on the LFS that sold it to you or info you got from some one else.

Then you complain you can't take it back.

Or you can't "humanely" put it down. Even though "humane" treatment doesn't apply to aquatic life.

End result, they become feeders.....they die in the inappropriate conditions you provided for them...or you do what 90% of folks do..you flush them.

Happens all the time. But I do have a lot of fishies that eat others..but all sick ones get the flush.

At the inexpensive price of fish, meds are just to expensive as is the wasted time to diagnose their issues.

kj5kb

KEEPER OF CATS, FISH AND CATFISHES
Mar 1, 2007
Spring Hill Kansas SW of Kansas City
Real Name
Don
Good rant Bob...and I agree.

Yes, in the past I have spent $10 on meds to save $8 worth of fish.

I now cull and flush the really sick ones too. I do ensure they are dead first...blunt force trauma works well.
I have noticed my tanks are now healthier because of that policy.

Occasionally the 'special' fish gets the meds, but most of mine are cheap fish and can easily be replaced.

It's relative tho...when you have 3 fish and lose one it's a bigger deal than having 200 and losing one...

Liz

AC Members
Mar 25, 2005
I did it once when i was like 9 or 10, way too young to have a fish tank. And nobody helped me out, so I had an overstocked 10 gallon with no filter and the fish all got ich, so I got all distressed and wound up flushing them. It is not a happy memory for me.

mel_20_20

AC Members
Sep 1, 2008
Deep in the heart of texas
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!! Bob.... put them on the driveway slab and stomp them.... please.... if you can't buy some clove oil.......don't send them down the pipe to lie in the sludge and linger......

I understand.... I feel your pain.... I know it's rough... but pleeeeeze..... don't flush....

Yes... I"ve paid $4.99 for a fish and spent $75 on meds to cure him.... maybe it was dumb....and I may not be so sentimental in the future... for a Brochis.........but I will never... I repeat never..... flush......... a live fish.....

Clove oil is $5 or so for a bottle, and all I need is a few drops.......... I choose to help them go peacefully and not down the toilette.....

Rbishop

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 30, 2005
Real Name
Mr. Normal
Someone pee pee in your Wheaties this morning Bob?

I only flush dead fish NOT dying/diseased. I've spent $10 on meds to save some $2 fish.

More foolish than you know then....

Rbishop

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 30, 2005
Real Name
Mr. Normal
Hmmm..me thinks they "lie" in anguish in a tank full of chemicals from improperly diagnosed illness...

Michwol42795

CanTANKerous
Dec 28, 2009
Chattanooga, TN
Well I agree on most parts, but at least make sure the fish is dead first! Besides, I've been researching the intelligence of fish and research shows that the majority of fish are at least as smart as most mammals. It'd be like flushing a cat down the toilet.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store