Emaciated "Rescue" Cory

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

tinah

AC Members
Jan 5, 2009
tulsa, ok
So an ad popped up last night for a free 2.5 gal tank and a lonely little cory on my local craigslist.
I have him in a cycled quarrentine 10 gal. He made it through the night, and doesn't seem have any ick or fungus, no pop eye, no marks, doesn't seem to have fin-rot, and his barbels are intact. I think he's a panda, but his colors are really muddy. And he is VERY thin.
How often can I feed him? I had to target feed him this morning. . . When I picked him up there was flake in the tank, and I offered him sinking shrimp pellets last night and this morning. He went gaga when I put one right in front of his, but doesn't seem to understand that he can cruise around and find food on his own.
Anything else I need to doing for the little guy other than pristine water and multiple feedings?

halfmoonplakat

AC Members
Nov 7, 2009
Good job rescuing the poor little cory! Hopefully he'll make it - if he's eating, all he needs is some time to get used to his new life. Just try to get his energy + strength up with feedings
Good luck :)
P.S. hollyfish2000 is right. How big is your tank?

Last edited:

tinah

AC Members
Jan 5, 2009
tulsa, ok
I have a 29 that has 6 emerald cories in it, but I didn't want to put him in there until he got a little stronger. He's acting like a cory this afternoon, which is promising, given that last night he was doing a lot of "just hanging there". I was also bleating about getting cories for the 55, so I might get him some panda friends. . . . but I don't want to overwhelm him while he's still weak, you know?
He is in the 10 gal Q tank right now.

mel_20_20

AC Members
Sep 1, 2008
Deep in the heart of texas
Give him time to put on some weight, and you can observe to make sure he doesn't break out in Ich or something before you add him to a tank. He'll be alright by himself for a while, but it will be helpful if you have something to hide in if he feels the need to do that.

I treated a single Oto in a 10 gallon HT and had a small clay pot, broken in half, that he would go hide in from time to time. Once he's started eating and you're sure he's healthy you can decide on where to put him and if you should get him some friends.

Jinks has some beautiful and healthy Otos and you could order some from her, that way you'd know you were getting healthy fish.

tinah

AC Members
Jan 5, 2009
tulsa, ok
He's got plants and driftwood in there with him, so he's got hiding places. He alternates between tripping out and resting on the bottom, so he is acting normally for a cory. A week should be about right for Q, huh?

peanutbowl

AC Members
Nov 11, 2009
Milton, DE
There are some foods infused with garlic that help stimulate appetite that you could try. Getting him to eat and build up his energy would make him feel better.

tinah

AC Members
Jan 5, 2009
tulsa, ok
So 2 weeks by himself. I can handle that.

Garlic infused foods, huh? Any particular brand names/types I should try?

Foods I have on hand: flake, shrimp Pellets, algae tabs, frozen blood worms, frozen tubifex worms. I've been offering him 1 shrimp pellet 3x/day. If I do a good job with getting it in front of him, he goes crazy on it, but it can't be too far away or he doesn't find it. Do you think he'd do better supplemented with some of the frozen food?

And on further examination, I really think he's a peppered, not a panda. I'll get my husband to take some pictures in the morning, since any photos I take look horrible.

Thanks everyone!

mel_20_20

AC Members
Sep 1, 2008
Deep in the heart of texas
I don't know if you have the dried cylindrical shrimp pellet that I had, but if so be careful that he doesn't gulp that down before it has had time to re-hydrate.

I had and African Dwarf frog that bolted one of those down and there was not enough moisture in her stomach or gut to re-hydrate it. She couldn't digest it, it caused a blockage and I ultimately had to euthanise her.

This may not be the same thing you have, but if so, I wouldn't put it down right in front of him unless you soak it in tankwater first.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store