Siamese Algae Eater Question

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

djdk

AC Members
Sep 30, 2003
I currently have one siamese algae eater in my 29 gallon and I was just wondering if they are fine living alone or if I should get him a friend. He seems to be doing well, has been settled in for a bit over a week now, and has been doing a pretty good job cleaning the algae up in my tank. Since my 2 oto's died, I guess I'll just wait and see how he keeps up with the algae growth on his own, but what do you think? Keep him alone, or would he prefer to have another with him?

Fish in tank:
(1) Siamese Algae Eater
(1) Clown Pleco
(1) Leopard Danio
(3) Zebra Danios
(6) Harlequin Rasboras
(6) Neon tetras

ScottoMacD

Charlie and Amanda's Daddy
Dec 21, 2001
Vaudreuil-Dorion, Quebec, Canada
Siamese algae eaters

They really don't have to be in pairs or groups.

Unlike the otos that really should be in groups of three or more the SAE's work and live happiilly all alone.

Leopardess

Everything's eventual.
Aug 13, 2003
New Hampshire Seacoast Area
Visit site
Otos mainly eat slime algaes while SAE's prefer filamentous algaes.

They do not need to be kept in groups - though they can be.

On a side note: do you have somewhere to put your clown loach? They get way too big for a 29g. They will reach a thick FOOT in length and then some.

djdk

AC Members
Sep 30, 2003
Thanks for the replies. Leopardess, though I would like to some day have a few clown loaches in a large tank, I think that you misread my post. I have a clown pleco, not a clown loach.

Leopardess

Everything's eventual.
Aug 13, 2003
New Hampshire Seacoast Area
Visit site
LOL DUH! Sorry! You're right, I read it as clown loach. But I guess I guess I'm a little overzealous in my fight to save the clown loaches!;)

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store