Guess where I found my yo-yo loach today?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

mozart

AC Members
Mar 29, 2007
Delawhere?
Inside my emperor biowheel.
It swam against the current, over the biowheel and into the bottom of the intake side near the impeller. After spending the day staring at my tank looking for fish parts, looking under driftwood, and searching the house, I concluded that it got out of one of the small openings and my dog ate it. I was seriously upset. I kept looking in the filters and concluded no way. A couple times I thought I heard an unsual gush/splash sound near the tank over the course of the day. I took off the Emperor. The intake side drained immediately and I took off the tube. Searched the deep side, no luck, poured out every drop of water and was looking for body parts when I saw a wiggle in the bottom of the intake side. I had to pound the filter several times to get him out. He was without water for a bit of time. Then he put up quite a fight getting out of the bucket. This dude can jump! He's looking like his usual self now. I hope this doesn't become a habit!
Is this a common occurrence with loaches?

jackiomy

Lover of Oddballs
Jul 6, 2008
San Diego, CA
Real Name
Jacki Wilson
Isn't that frustrating? I lost a bunch of shrimp before I learned to look in the filter first if I was missing somebody. LOL

Tay690

Addicted to Loaches
Feb 5, 2009
Definitely up there on top 10 weirdest Loach experiences lol

I heard a story once of one guy doing his WC and his alpha clown actually jumped into his powerhead (while it was off of course!) and layed in there and refused to leave...so the guy actually went out and bought another powerhead to actually use...and the other is the new loachy bed

Weird fish but gotta love 'em

fishorama

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
SF Bay area, CA
I had a small histrionica loach live in a powerhead too. I removed the PH after I thought the loach was out, banging, rinsing, peering inside. Set it on the kitchen counter & out came the fish, into the sink & down the garbage disposal! Reached in & found him on a lettuce leaf.

Not a happy ending though, he lived a few weeks until bacteria or something wiped out the entire quarantine tank :eek: Very sad

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store