Cardinal Tetra Problem

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

andyjh

AC Members
Feb 18, 2009
Massachusetts
I've got one Cardinal out of my long-standing group of 10 with a problem Stomach is concave and certainly not looking good. Does still swim with the others but there's clearly cause for concern. Rest of the well-populated community 55 gallon tank is fine. Anything I can do, or is the end near?

stomach.JPG

andyjh

AC Members
Feb 18, 2009
Massachusetts
I Don't think it's a birth defect. I think this is a relatively recent development. I watched feeding time carefully tonight, and didn't see this fish eating anything. It approached a food particle, but never really took it into its mouth.

XMAN

AC Members
Nov 24, 2004
RI
I've seen this with other fish. I think it's a nutrient deficiency and it might be too late. Once this happens they go into decline and die several days to weeks later. Sometimes their bodies actually bend as well. Look at how the spine is deformed. That's a condition that may not be reversible.

spacefish34

Sep 2, 2009
Bedford,TX
Real Name
Chris
keep an eye on the other fish in the shoal.is this one the only one showing signs of distress?how long did it take for it to become this way?one thing to look out for,though this does'nt look like it,is neon tetra disease.most of the same symptoms but there is usually white patchy areas and more than one fish in the shoal will be affected as it is very contagious.

andyjh

AC Members
Feb 18, 2009
Massachusetts
I'm pretty sure that Cardinal Tetras don't get NTD. Yes, this is the only fish affected and I'm guessing this has happened over the last couple months. This group of Cardinals has been in the tank almost a year.

spacefish34

Sep 2, 2009
Bedford,TX
Real Name
Chris
well,if you do a little research my friend,you will find that NTD can affect all members of the paracheirodon family.but it looks like you have it all figured out...

andyjh

AC Members
Feb 18, 2009
Massachusetts
Spacefish- I've done some research on NTD and have found that the sources I've encountered have claimed no NTD susceptibility with the Cardinal Tetra. Your response would carry much more weight if you cited a reference regarding the Cardinal and NTD. Your sarcasm means nothing.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store