Setting up new skipper tank...

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

PlantedWetLife

AC Members
Aug 28, 2009
Saskatchewan, Canada
so I got a 25g long for my skippers as they've outgrown their cube. I also noticed they weren't utilizing all the space very well, so I think I'll turn there old one into a puffer tank. (Not sure which ones yet, just gonna start a cycle).

I have the tank cycling now with 4 junior mollies, a little dwarf lily, and one of my tank stones. I plan to transfer over the prepared wood I have in the existing tank, but to use it more creatively (ie as a live plant base), but I was wondering if anybody had some good brackish/hardy plant recomendations.

Currently I have some Java fern, dwarf lily, and bamboo. I am still looking for local mangrove (just contacted a local hydroponic gardener to see if they could get some in actually), but would like some other common or easy to take care of plants.

As part of simulated tidal conditions, there will be an occasional chilly breeze (I live in a very old apartment, so we must keep a fresh air flow (ie window cracked) most of the time to stay sane. The tank will be almost completely controlled except for that.

Anyone know any plants or skipper-compatible species?

They currently get along good with a molly, but when I started them on a one day diet, they sacrified her mate (or maybe it was just a coincidence)

Before every asks the same question I WILL POST PICTURES in the next couple days, so chill out and use your imagination. :shark:

Also looking for suggestions for their old tank, a 25g cubed. I am leaning towards gobies and puffers, though probably not together ;)

Oh, and any substrate suggestions? I've had problems with playground sand getting too filthy too fast, so something that requires not too much cleaning (say, more than weekly).

Jul 3, 2006
San Diego, CA
I used to keep skippers and I found that if you value your fish, keep them out of the tank or they will become food. How high do you keep your water level? I would have an area where they could come out of the water, but still play in the mud. I don't recommend waiting longer than a week to change the water. The sand substrate is really the best for them. It mimics their natural environment. I think if you use a python weekly, you can clean the sand pretty well. For the 25g cube, I like corys myself. Maybe you can use it as a hospital tank.

PlantedWetLife

AC Members
Aug 28, 2009
Saskatchewan, Canada
I like to keep my skippers with mollies
1. because they breed too much and this is a kind of natural selection
2. they clean up after the messy eating skippers
3. one time I left for a week, and my brother was supposed to look after my pets. He fed the ferret everyday, but forgot about the fish!!! Luckily, I had a trio of mollies coexisting and one of them had a lot of babies. Needless to say they were happy to see me when I got home, and I don't ask my brother to look after pets anymore. The molly was skinny (I had seen a few squirmers squiggling around when I left), but there was no little fish left.

Also, I would never keep 'trophy fish' with the skippers, but does anyone have experience with anything else. I've heard mixed things on crabs, and that ghost shrimp make fun food for them.

Basically, my end goal is a self-sustatining ecosystem (but no easy task with 3 skippers)

PlantedWetLife

AC Members
Aug 28, 2009
Saskatchewan, Canada
I guess I should add they're vietnamese skippers, live bred in Canada by the Vancouver Aquarium breeder. (I was told, could be straight off the boat too, ya never know unless you directly get them yourself)

PlantedWetLife

AC Members
Aug 28, 2009
Saskatchewan, Canada
I used to keep skippers and I found that if you value your fish, keep them out of the tank or they will become food. How high do you keep your water level? I would have an area where they could come out of the water, but still play in the mud. I don't recommend waiting longer than a week to change the water. The sand substrate is really the best for them. It mimics their natural environment. I think if you use a python weekly, you can clean the sand pretty well. For the 25g cube, I like corys myself. Maybe you can use it as a hospital tank.
Actually I just did get a larger python that could work, but is playground sand the best, or the expensive petstore stuff? Definately not the Dollarama stuff ;)

Rythic

AC Members
Feb 25, 2009
I use play sand with my setup and I have no problems with it, I just stir the sand once a week during water changes. I keep crabs and ghost shrimp in my tank as well as a flounder to help stir the sand during the week. I have no issues with the crabs and skippers together. My mudskippers love chasing the ghost shrimp and love to eat them after they actually catch them lol. I have Red, Black and White mangroves in my tank now.

PlantedWetLife

AC Members
Aug 28, 2009
Saskatchewan, Canada
I use play sand with my setup and I have no problems with it, I just stir the sand once a week during water changes. I keep crabs and ghost shrimp in my tank as well as a flounder to help stir the sand during the week. I have no issues with the crabs and skippers together. My mudskippers love chasing the ghost shrimp and love to eat them after they actually catch them lol. I have Red, Black and White mangroves in my tank now.

I think the flounder stand-stirrer is a great idea! The skippers leave her alone? what kind of flounder?

Also, I've never done ghost shrimp, but would like to try, what do you feed them? I've heard algae pellets?

I'm working with a local plant expert on trying to get some mangroves or at least some seeds done hydro-brackish.

Is there any pictures of your setup?

Rythic

AC Members
Feb 25, 2009
The skippers dont mess with the flounder at all, probably because they can never see him since it is always in the sand. Its a freshwater flounder they get about 4 inches. I dont feed the shrimp anything special they eat blood worms, brine shrimp basically anything I feed the skippers and crabs. Here are a few pics of my tank now. Water is cloudy in this pic, I took it after a water change and stirred the sand.

PlantedWetLife

AC Members
Aug 28, 2009
Saskatchewan, Canada
Looking good Rythic... I'd say mine would be similar, but I'd be worried about keeping so much sand clean? how much do you change vs. how much the flounder cleans?

I'm trying to get some red mangroves in from Calgary, until then I'm using bamboo.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store