Need help with my plants. and advice. 40G tanks <Image included>

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Asgaroth

AC Members
Mar 21, 2009
Danbury, CT
it's 40G with
9 Odessa Barbs
6 sterbie cory
3 danios

I want to have a nice planted aquarium.

What should I do to make it better? what kind of small plant should I plant in front?

should I use sand or some other gravel? (I have a bag of marine sand).

I just installed EHEIM 2217
Getting this week --> 36"Nova Extreme 2x39w T5HO 10K/Freshwater Model #1128A

Thank you GUY/GALS!!!

IMGP5992.jpg

RianS

AC Members
May 5, 2009
Most of those plants seem to be low/mid light and on the slower side for growing. As for plant suggestions it would help to tell us if your injecting co2 or not. Also the way you are adding co2.

fishorama

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
SF Bay area, CA
I think a nice offcenter focal point with groupings of plants & rocks instead of just random placement works well. Several of the same kind of crypts near each other, a cluster of stems, say bacopa, or vals rather than lined up. It'll help hide equipment better too.

It's hard at first to have enough of 1 kind when you want to try everything that might work. I tend toward this collecting but my favorite tanks have more of fewer kinds.

Your substrate is ok but may be harder to plant thin stems or tiny plants. Marine sand sometimes has coral, read the bag to see if it will alter pH & hardness. I have trouble with very fine sand. Eco complete is very nice & easy to plant but mostly I use pool filter sands.

AquaFiend

AC Members
Feb 10, 2010
CT
If u want a good solid planted tank Co2 in my personal opinion is a must.. a cheaper way of Co2 to be delivered into your tank would be probaly to get this http://www.fosterandsmithaquatics.com/product/prod_display.cfm?c=3578+3747+8981&pcatid=8981 id get 2 of these seeing that u have a 40 gallon tank. I use one of these and they work great ! Second i would get some kind of flourite or live rock for substrate because it looks like u just have reg aquarium rock in there. other small hints or pointers is place the heater in the middle part of ur aquarim instead of on the side if u can.. then have ur filter on the lowest flow setting possible because Co2 doesnt need a high water flow because it will disrupt the co2 propcess... the lighting that u ordered seems good ..GOOD LUCK WITH EVERYTHING ! hope this helped out a little

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store