Femal with eggs?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Alexandrian

AC Members
May 15, 2009
Alexandria-Egypt
Hello every one
It was a while since last time i posted anything, I missed you all, Any way beside being wonderful group of frinds where else i may go for a good advice?

First i need to remind you of this :
http://www.aquariacentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=200225

My loach that you- specially Lupin- helped my to identify as Misgurnus mizolepis Chinese Weather Loach

For the last +6 months they were doing great even if i never sexed them but tow of them are bigger and more active while the third is smaller and mostly very shy, The story is about this smaller shy loach

- Sorry for the poor photos my cam is broken and i had only my mobile phone cam-

In 25th of January i noticed this swell just under the base of the tail

I presumed it is a female and the swell is the eggs in her ovaries, Anyway she started to be more active and less shy and instead of hiding all day she started to lay on the front of the tank, The other two loaches which i presume to be males didn't show any extra intrest

Another view

then the swell developed to this by the 3ed of this mounth

Actually at that point i could see a tip of a pinkish orange object out of its anus maybe the eggs or something else

Today it developed to this

I thought it is some kind of a scratch , But in fact and under a better light i can see the shadow of the eggs under her skin
For the last 3 hours the males were laying besid her or at least one of them is doing so all the time.

Is she carrying eggs?
My Idea is to move the three loaches all together to a smaller tank with water ,Sand and some plants from the main tank and let the nature take its course, I'll do that to protect the eggs from the other tank mates ( Angels, corycats,Yoyo loach)
What is your advice?

Thanks for your help

godjilla

AC Members
Sep 18, 2009
Nova Scotia, Canada
While I can't really help you with the issue of whether this cute little loach is about to give birth or not, i can tell you how excited I am for you if that is the case!

I've had weather loaches for over a year now, and I love them so much. Never had any pregnancies though, as I think all of mine are male.

I hope you do have little ones soon. :D

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store