Pool sand vs Play sand vs Construction sand !!!!

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Alexpatrascu

AC Members
Feb 1, 2010
Montreal, CA
So which one guys ?!?!

- pool sand doesn't change the pH but it it's white and can damage the gills
- play sand has the color(natural) that I want but doesn't have the texture(too small grain)
- construction sand(my favorite) has the color and texture(sugar grain) that I want but I don't know how safe it is

So again....which one, I really need some ideas as I need to start the tank ASAP......

Thanks a lot guys, really appreciate it.

kj5kb

KEEPER OF CATS, FISH AND CATFISHES
Mar 1, 2007
Spring Hill Kansas SW of Kansas City
Real Name
Don
Pool sand---you mean #20 pool filter sand? Never had a problem with it. mine is mostly tan with some white grains.

Play sand...I find it compacts a bit too much for me.

Construction sand...can't say I'm familiar with it.

I find a 50/50 mix of play and pool filter sand is a nice texture and looks natural.

BadOleRoss

AC Members
Jan 3, 2010
I did a quick Google search and from what I gather construction sand will raise your PH dramatically.

RDTigger

Newest member of F.A.R.T.
Jul 4, 2009
Pawleys Island, SC
PFS...

Uniform size granules and looks "au naturale" once it has been in the tank. A good rinse and you should not have to worry about it being in your filtration. I have had more issues with Tahition Moon Sand getting into water change buckets than PFS...

tomany

AC Members
Nov 23, 2009
Hartford, Al
pfs. I have it in all my multie tanks, they are constantly picking it up in their mouths and moving it around, they have no problems. It is easy to clean and I have had no problems with it in my flitration.

THE V

Hiding from my children
Nov 25, 2007
Washington
Real Name
Mr. Incognito
I use construction sand in my tanks. I like the way it looks. All the different colors and such.

Construction sand does need to be rinsed like crazy. Took me several hours. Construction sand is normally just the sieved particles from gravel so it has many different sizes and generally a lot of dirt in it. Depending upon the composition it may mess with the pH some but due to the amount of rinsing that I did I haven't had any problems.

All three will work it just depends upon what you like.

loachmom

I love pangios!!!
Feb 17, 2007
PA
I have pool filter sand in all five of my tanks. I really like it. It brightened up my tanks, and I spread large, smooth, river gravel on it here and there to give it a more natural look. I've never had it in my filters.

I've never used the other sands that you mentioned, so I can't comment on them. :)

tranced

AC Members
Feb 8, 2010
i agree pool filter is a great cheap sand. i mix in some lime sand if i need buffering.

i recently bought some expensive marine type substrate and i love that too! it was called grey coast calcite.

ducatigirl

AC Members
Jan 2, 2010
Bunbury, Western Australia
I have mixed river sand with pool filter sand. The river sand needs to be rinsed ALOT!
But I love the consistency, and plants stay put, and easy to put in. the only pool filter sand i can get is pure white, so I like to add the river sand, its a cinnamon colour afterwards.
The chipokae moves it around all day building mountains.
Pool filter sand is cheap for clean sand. the river sand is very cheap as I got a ute load from landscape suppliers for $30, but the cleaning it can be a bit tiresome.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store