brackish shrimp?????

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

nzmolina

AC Members
Nov 13, 2009
North Las Vegas
I have a question can blueberry shrimp survive in a brackish tank? If not, what kind of shrimp are brackish? Thank you :wall:

Piranha86

AC Members
Dec 26, 2009
Harford County Maryland
Real Name
Will
They most likely cannot. Here's a list of possible candidates: Ghost shrimp; Amano shrimp; you could probably get away with Crystal Bees; Rudolph-The-Red-Nosed-Reindeer shrimp (yes, they exist); and probably some others. These are all mainly freshwater, but could still flourish in brackish. RTRNR shrimp are strictly brackish though. Here's a link for great shrimp. http://www.fishpondinfo.com/shrimp2.htm

bazil323

AC Members
May 1, 2008
Wisconsin
In case you can't find the "Rudoloph the red nosed reindeer shrimp", here's some others I found on the profile on www.aquaticcommunity.com: "The next shrimp in The Real Algae Eaters series is the Red Nosed [COLOR=black ! important][COLOR=black ! important]Shrimp[/COLOR][/COLOR]. Other common names include Rhino Shrimp (named for the rhino shaped nose), Red Fronted Shrimp, Rudolph Shrimp, Rudolph Red Nosed Shrimp (named for its red nose), Red-Stripe Shrimp and Rocket Shrimp (for being a fast swimmer). It is assigned the scientific name of caridina gracilirostris."

nzmolina

AC Members
Nov 13, 2009
North Las Vegas
Thanks for the reply. Well before I read the posts I did buy the blueberry shrimp and they thrived for about a week in my brackish tank and finally one day I did not see them swimming anymore and I did not find any bodies, I'm guessing my mollies or my bumblebee gobies must have gobbled them up. But I want to give another try, I'll look around town for the red nosed shrimp they look very nice.

nzmolina

AC Members
Nov 13, 2009
North Las Vegas
Ok so I went to the LFS and I decided to buy ghost shrimp. I'm going to give them a try if not I'll probably order some amanos online. There's only three LFS here in Las Vegas and they all carry ghost shrimp, and nothing else except marine shrimp.

nzmolina

AC Members
Nov 13, 2009
North Las Vegas
wow I just googled this shrimp and they are very nice, I think if my ghosts don't thrive I'm definetly looking in to buying these

sed03f

a plant a fish
Jul 23, 2008
Florida
inverthobby.com
Real Name
Sarah
opae ula, aka red volcano shrimp, aka hawaii shrimp, I heard they can live for up to 2 decades, fantastic creatures, I plan to get some once I figure out brackish

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store