Australian Desert Goby Fry?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

chunkswrestles

AC Members
Dec 30, 2008
Maryland
so i have these desert goby fry that are a couple of months old now and it seems like they are all males. i have around 40-50 fry and they all have the black spot on the first dorsal fin meaning that they are a male. how is it possible that i have all males.

clb2196

AC Members
Feb 21, 2009
Mass
How big are they? I had australian desert gobies, they were adults (or subadults at least) and the male and female looked significantly different, definitely more than having or not having a black dot.

ETA: Can't get to my pics right now, but these are more or less what mine looked like:

Female:

Male:

Also- planning on selling the fry? I might be interested.

chefjamesscott

beware the house tiger
May 28, 2008
I would have to say that they are most probably like cichlids, look the same till the female and male mature then the colouration changes.

Gobioides

AC Members
Oct 27, 2008
From what I've read they aren't very clearly dimorphic until the male assumes the breeding dress. At that time his head becomes larger, his body becomes that bright yellow, and his fins take on their vibrant coloration. If the gobies aren't mature yet I wouldn't try too hard to sex them.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store