looking for a fun bottom feeder

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

jenricae

AC Members
Dec 27, 2005
Vancouver, BC Canada
Can anyone recommend a bottom feeder that is:

• is not too small (smaller than 3"). Can live with larger fish without getting eaten
  • doesn't get too large (over 5-6")
  • fun, likes to get around nice gravel, rocks, plants and driftwood with lots of nooks and places to explore
  • works singly, in 2s or in 3s (or even 4s) but doesn't need a large shoal to work

Haven't stocked the tank yet but am trying to figure out what to put in there.

Thanks!

Sammysaddiction

AC Members
Aug 22, 2009
Can anyone recommend a bottom feeder that is:

• is not too small (smaller than 3"). Can live with larger fish without getting eaten
  • doesn't get too large (over 5-6")
  • fun, likes to get around nice gravel, rocks, plants and driftwood with lots of nooks and places to explore
  • works singly, in 2s or in 3s (or even 4s) but doesn't need a large shoal to work

Haven't stocked the tank yet but am trying to figure out what to put in there.

Thanks!
Cories would be perfect but they need to be in a group of at least 6. You could try dwarf cories if size/space is the issue.

clb2196

AC Members
Feb 21, 2009
Mass
Kuhli loaches. :clap: love em.

spacefish34

Sep 2, 2009
Bedford,TX
Real Name
Chris
cool.that expands your choices.corys are good suggestion,but try some of these;a group of 3-5 upside down catfishes(Synodontis nigriventis).not to easy to find,but 3-5 chain loaches(Botia sidthimunki),kribensis(Pelviachromis pulcher).i would suggest keeping a single specimen of this little cichlid.the male and female are both gorgeous.however,a pair will prosperously breed which while being a fascinating example of cichlid parenting at its finest,while breeding they are notorious for keeping the other tankmates relegated to one side or corner of the tank while protecting the brood.the Badis(Badis badis).this is a way cool fish with all the swagger of the most flashy cichlid,the ability to change color and patterning at the drop of a hat,and a habit of forming a close connection with their keepers.only things to consider on this fish is its diminutive size(about 3-4"),and feeding.though people claim they will,i have never out of the 10+ badis ive kept taken anything but frozen or live food.they also will rarely compete for food so it can be a little more work to make sure they get fed.well,there a short list.there are alot more so do some more research.good luck.

dvanv

AC Members
Aug 17, 2006
Cories are great......and the right size according to your requirements. I would recommend that you get hasbrosous cories which only get to 2 inches and get a mulitple of them. They will entertain anyone watching the tank.

thebetta

AC Members
Nov 14, 2009
Cories are great......and the right size according to your requirements. I would recommend that you get hasbrosous cories which only get to 2 inches and get a mulitple of them. They will entertain anyone watching the tank.
OP said between 3 inches - 5/6 inches...
But otherwise I agree

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store