How can I get rid of hair algae?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

fsn77

AC Moderators
Staff member
Feb 22, 2006
SC
Elevated nitrates and phosphates cause nuissance algae. Identifying the source of the problem works best -- overfeeding, overstocking, contaminated water source, etc. In the meantime, manually removing the algae does help (even though it seems like a never ending battle).

If phosphates are a part of the problem, running a phosphate removing media can help, but correcting the source of the phosphates tends to be cheaper in the long run.

If your lights are on too long, that can make the problem worse. Cutting back on the photoperiod can also help while working to correct the source of the issue.

FinFanatic

AC Members
Feb 26, 2010
Livermore, CA
No offense snapshooter, but treating problems with chemicals is treating the symptoms, not the source of the problem. It's like taking aspirin for a headache caused by a jackhammer. As long as the jackhammer is going, you're going to have a headache. Sure, the aspirin will kill the pain for a while, but it will come back. You have to get rid of the jackhammer. :)
Basically, rdefino, you have too much of something. Algae grows when there are too many nutrients (or you're system is out of whack) and not enough ways to eliminate the nutrients. FSN77 is on the right track. It's a matter of systematically testing and eliminating possible causes to find the right solution. I know it doesn't help much, but everyone goes through it. ;)
If you have a sump, you could throw some chaeto algae in it to try and soak up the nutrients. A more natural way than dosing with a bunch of chemicals.

Arkangel77

AC Members
Aug 13, 2006

FinFanatic

AC Members
Feb 26, 2010
Livermore, CA
Arkangel, Chaeto is a "good" algae. It's kind of like brillo pad that can be used to out-compete "bad" algae like hair algae.
I suppose it does seem a little nuts to battle algae with algae :)
The Chaeto, which tends to say in a ball and float on top of the water, is a lot easier to remove than hair algae.

Last edited:

Arkangel77

AC Members
Aug 13, 2006
I - C - where do you get it from?

fsn77

AC Moderators
Staff member
Feb 22, 2006
SC
Chaeto is given away by some hobbyists, others sell it. It gets pruned back as it grows, which is why some people just give it away instead of throwing it away. Otherwise, some LFSs have it, or it can be ordered online (I'd only order it online as a last resort).

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store