Dropsy! Please help!

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Beeker

Aquariaholic
Oct 8, 2004
My goldfish is now in the later stages of Dropsy. She is pineconed with bulging eyes.
She is in a 20 gal Q-tank being treated with Kanaplex (4 not so level spoonfulls) and one teaspoon of Epsom salts. This is after treating her for two weeks on Maracyn 2. I didn't use it with Maracyn. Should I have?
According to the directions on the Kanaplex, treat every 2 days, maximum of 3 doses. Her first dose was Wednesday, I treated again on Friday, and her last dose was today. Is that it? She is not lethargic anymore, she is eating again, as long as I soak the flakes to make them soft, but she still is pineconed and hasn't pooped in 2 weeks. Will she get better? Will her bloat go down so she will look like a normal goldfish and not a golden pinecone with eyes?
I have heard that as long as the fish is still eating, it can get better. She is still the piggy she always has been but I am thinking of fasting her and giving her a pea. I don't know if I should or not because of the dropsy. I don't think a bloat like this can be caused by constipation, but what do you all think? She hasn't pooped in 2 weeks. That cannot be good for her.

Please advise.

mel_20_20

AC Members
Sep 1, 2008
Deep in the heart of texas
Oh... it doesn't sound good... If she's pineconed all over her body and not just in the adomenal area it means she's suffered some damage to her internal organs, usually kidneys but could be heart and/or liver.

It wouldn't hurt to try feeding nuked, skinned, english peas to see if this helps her, in case she is constipated, but it won't help if this is true dropsy.

Lupin

Registered Member
Sep 21, 2006
Lupin Information Super Highway/Goldfish Informati
thegab.org
Real Name
Paul
Please do NOT treat dropsied fish with kanaplex. It is nephrotoxic to them especially if dropsy involves renal failure that destroy the kidneys.

You do need to use metronidazole though which is the best way to treat dropsy. Epsom salt may work but not as effectively as sodium chloride does. Sodium chloride should be able to enhance osmoregulation and minimize fluid retention as much as possible. Dose 0.3% solution of salt and avoid ones containing ferrous cyanide or yellow prussiate.

1. Add a teaspoon per gallon first which is equivalent to 0.1%.
2. Repeat step 1 after 12 hours.
3. Repeat step 2. Same time interval.

Do not forget to redose salt per water volume changed when you make a water change.

What are your pH, KH and GH? You'd need to push the hardness levels by 150 or more. Use the API liquid drops to test accurately. Calcium chloride by Kent can be used to adjust the hardness levels temporarily to give your fish some relief from this issue as it also encourages proper osmoregulation.

Where are you located? If in USA, then order Metromeds. Goldfish Utopia should carry it. For Canada, Fish Sempai online has it. Unfortunately for UK, you'd have to order from USA metro-based meds unless you know a vet who is willing to give you some as it's restricted to prescriptions only. Baytril is the last choice of treatment and best administered by injection.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store