Quick Cure?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Chriznat20

Aquarist Extrordinaire
Feb 7, 2010
Michigan
I bought some of API's "Quick Cure" for my tank.. Im going through a pretty minor ICH outbreak and am trying to keep it that way, but the heat and salt seem to be majorly stressing out my corys and pleco :angryfire:

Since it doesnt say on the package, is Quick Cure going to kill my pleco and corys? What is everybodys experience with API's "Quick Cure" product?

Chriznat20

Aquarist Extrordinaire
Feb 7, 2010
Michigan
How warm is the water and how much salt have you added?
Went from 76f to 85.5f over a 4 day period.

Added 25 teaspoons of aquarium salt from my LFS over the same period. Every time I did a water change, I'd add salt to the bucket and mix it up before I added it.

Lillyan

AC Members
Jan 26, 2010
Culpeper, VA
QuickCure never hurt any of my bottom dwellers. Loach, Pleco, Cat, Snail, Shrimp, etc. all were fine as Daisies.
Salt on the other hand messed up my plants, so I rarely use the recommended dose

Chriznat20

Aquarist Extrordinaire
Feb 7, 2010
Michigan
QuickCure never hurt any of my bottom dwellers. Loach, Pleco, Cat, Snail, Shrimp, etc. all were fine as Daisies.
Salt on the other hand messed up my plants, so I rarely use the recommended dose
Thanks..how much quick cure did you use (Did you go full or 1/2 dose?) and what temperature did you have your tank at while treating with Quick Cure?

Chriznat20

Aquarist Extrordinaire
Feb 7, 2010
Michigan
Well...came home from work tonight to find my first fatality..one of my honey gouramis was floating - dead as a doornail :( :( Crazy thing is, the gouramis never had any ich spots and never (IMO) showed any stress!

I am testing my ammonia and nitrites right now, they've got 1 and 2 minutes left respectively: but as far as I can tell right now, the levels are still the same - ammonia almost 0 and nitrites between 0 and .25.

The tank temp is somewhere between 85 and 86f.

I noticed my corys are ICH free today!! There seems to be either a new ICH on my neon tetra, or a piece of slime coat/flesh is hanging off him where the ICH was this morning, I cant tell.

Last edited:

jrow8162

AC Members
Apr 6, 2009
Richmond, VA
I have never had success with Quick Cure on scaleless fish. I killed 3 clown loaches using that stuff at half dose. The only thing i've had success with is heat. I bump my heat up to 86 to speed the life cycle of the ich. Scaleless fish such as loaches, pleco's, cory's, etc dont do well with Quick Cure. If you must medicate I have heard Kick Ich is safe for scaleless fish. You may also want to try a product with Quinine Sulfate in it. I also wouldn't recommend the salt for scaleless fish. Never tried salt but have heard from many fish keepers that it is bad for scaleless fish.

Chriznat20

Aquarist Extrordinaire
Feb 7, 2010
Michigan
My test results were ammonia: almost 0 (there was some yellow), nitrite: less than .25.

I did a 33% water change anyways. Maintained the level of aquarium salt and also added 2x amount of stress coat.

gmh

AC Members
Feb 5, 2007
Santa Barbara area
I's been a couple of days, how are the cories doing? Did you keep the heat and salt the same? Did you add in Quick Cure?

Chriznat20

Aquarist Extrordinaire
Feb 7, 2010
Michigan
I's been a couple of days, how are the cories doing? Did you keep the heat and salt the same? Did you add in Quick Cure?
Wow... somebody DOES pay attention to me :D :D

I have not added the Quick Cure® ... I have kept the temp up to 85.5 and maintained the aquarium salt balance.

As of last night, there was a small ICH on the tail of the neon tetra, but this morning there was nothing on the neon. The corys look ICH free as of this morning :naughty:

Im hoping this was "it", and there wont be any more subsequent outbreaks. I did nip it in the butt as soon as I saw the spots, and only 3 fish (out of ~10) had spots, and the most my corys ever had were 3 spots each. :hypnotized:

Im going to do a 30% WC tonight...going to vacuum the gravel again too to get any ICH's that have fallen to the bottom & are waiting to multiply.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store